In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

List of Pandemic Collections, Must haves for the next one!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by WeldrDave, Apr 11, 2020.

1. unclefess

unclefess Guest

this is so true ,the future is quite uncertain ,if people cant work supplies will not be restocked it is wise to conserve now while most things are available

2. rottiman

rottiman

Talking to a owner/operator who signed on with a broker 3 weeks ago and was hauling essential food for Tyson Foods. Told all kinds of miles, lot's and lot's of loads. 1st week did 1700 miles, 2nd week 1300 miles and until Friday this week, 1100 miles. Dispatcher told him to go home as they had NO loads coming up as Tyson Foods has begun shutting down their plants due to employee sickness and Covid 19. As well, per mile was dropping off to pre december rates. It was costing him $$$$ to run. He came home friday night. The truck goes up for sale monday.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

There you go.

4. Knothead

Knothead

Very true statement Rottiman.....sad but true!

[​IMG]

5. Marshel54

Marshel54

#1 A generator
    #2 Masks
    #3 Can more meat

6. Eckie

Eckie

This is a great thread..I'm sure we can learn from each other on this one like we do on many others. The obvious like others have stated..keep big stock of tp, dried goods, flour, rice, beans, canned goods, safety/ hygiene supplies (gloves, masks, alcohol, hand sanitizer etc).

Who would have thought we would be in this kind of situation, and having these types of discussions...? Be honest, few people have thought about this kind of thing.

I see a really big "item" missing from our list so far....kmowledge! People who have never raised a garden probably dont realize that it takes some knowledge and work to be successful. And to be able to make that harvest last and sustain, takes knowledge (and supplies) of canning, drying etc. Knowing the basics, of what it would take to get by and thrive (if possible), is a different mindset and set of skills than many (most) are used to nowadays. So education, whether books, videos (you tube), one on one etc shuld be high on everyones list I believe.

7. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

What about medications? Some people stay alive because of there meds, what can they do?

8. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Thing is, you have to prepare for a wide variety of possible “events”. Flood, tornado, hurricane, no electricity, nuclear concerns, govt takeover, rebellion, extreme snow or ice, illnesses, chemical warfare, etc. Luckily, most require the same gear to stock up on. Food, water, backup power supply, backup heat supply, medical supplies, ammo, etc. When this started I made an extensive list that had everything my pantry will be stocked with. Things like flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, non perishable food, easily transportable and stackable water containers, portable water filtration bottles, medical supplies, masks including gas masks, ammo, numerous types of weapons, rope, soap, propane, portable stove, gloves of various kinds, etc, etc, etc. If the shtf you want things to trade like coffee, prescription drugs, ammo, clean water, etc. I’ll be better prepared for future events.

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

If you have refills approved for a particular Rx, you could try getting refilled before the 30 or 90 days are up, by paying for it out of pocket and not going through your insurance. It might work.

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

A mental exercise, what consumables are you likely to need three months from now, that may be in short supply. I stocked up on all the pool chemicals I'm likely to need for the summer. Extra bar oil and chains.

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

need bigger supplies of pasta, ibuprofen, frozen vegs
    As to Backwoods Savage question easy 6 months a year in snow bank 6 months my freezer needs to run 3 hours a day to stay below 30*. I went a month without power was good training!! Still thankful to FHC :handshake:

oh yeah beans bullion Bics and bullets

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

The way I see it, there are two options.

The first is what we have all heard for years and years.....eat less, eat healthier and exercise. that can help with a lot of the required daily meds.

The second option is more permanent.

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'll say something.....

Regarding surgical masks and rubbing alcohol, If you got caught with your pants down, you're doing it wrong! :smoke: :D

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:thumbs::rofl: :lol:

15. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:popcorn:...some good ideas... will be taking notes.... :handshake:...

16. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Hey everyone, Chvymn99 is gonna take notes on all of this, laminate them and then put them in an official FHC binder and send each member one! He is an awesome guy! :thumbs:

17. rottiman

rottiman

He'll have to put pictures in yours...................................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::thumbs:

18. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

As long as there are no pics of you! :p

19. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:rofl: :lol:.... :faint: ... open mouth.... insert foot...:cool:

20. rottiman

rottiman

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: