A couple years ago I took a sycamore tree down for a fellow. We left the trunk stand about 10' high. I was back a couple days ago and this is what he had done with it. It was originally carved in place with the tree still in the ground but it started to rot out underneath. His sons poured that little concrete pad it now rests on. They hooked a tow-strap to it, cut it off at the base and lifted it with a front end loader to set it on the pad. There are a couple 2x6 pressure treated boards between the sculpture and the pad to help keep it from rotting any further. The wire mesh keeps out the little furry creatures The sculpture is actually him. He's 93 and was a WWII bomber pilot. The sculpture was made from a photo that was taken of him in front of his plane after a bombing run in Germany. I only have a front view but on his back is a parachute.
Sadly, in a few short years we won't have any members of the Greatest Generation left. What a great tribute and very well done. Give my respect and regards to that 93 year old man.
So true. He's in the hospital right now fighting pneumonia. His son told me that the other day. I'm not sure. I can look into though.
Somehow, WOW! just doesn't seem to describe it enough, but Wow! No doubt some was done with chainsaw but I'll bet most was done by hand.
Took a dead maple down for his daughter today and asked about it. She said the man that did it had a really big saw to cut away large sections. Don't know what her idea of a really big saw is but I'm guessing a 16"-20" bar. Then he used a much smaller saw which I'm guessing would be a 10"-12" bar. All the fine detail work was done with an electric rotary tool. He worked on it for a couple hours at a time. He was in and out for about 3 weeks.
Wow. That is impressive. It appears to be pretty big also, maybe life size? I would be reluctant to leave it outside.
Including the pedestal it's about 9' tall. He is about 6'-3or4" so life size would be an accurate description. It's coated with shellac and polyurethane so it should hold up fairly well to the elements.