In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cicadas.....Just in case you're lucky enough not to have them near you recently ;-)

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thistle, Jun 23, 2014.

  1. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Noisy damm things....as you'll soon find out ;) :rofl: :lol: Don't remember them being near this loud last time though...Havent heard them in my neighborhood in town this year,that's unusual.But are pretty bad in other areas of town not far away & especially in rural/small town locations elsewhere.Supposed to be done in a couple weeks the DNR & other authorities said.Hopefully they're right..... :D
     
    basod, HDRock and Stinny like this.
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    My wife would go insane thinking about all of those things makin all that sound... :hair:
     
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,625
    Location:
    IN
    We should get our next heavy dose of them in about 7 years, IIRC. The first time I was really old enough to remember hearing them was in 2004 (yes, I'm young). I remember waking up one morning thinking WTF is THAT!?!?!?! I would have been 6 the first time we got the 17 year brood.

    Good info here (used it to double check my dates). We have brood X in my neighborhood.

    http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html
     
  4. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    In this morning's newspaper a city policeman took a decibel reading with his noise meter in another older heavily wooded neighborhood at the park barely 4 blocks south & 5 blocks west of me - 83 & 86 decibels.Normal conversation is about 60 they said.I know out in the woods at parents place Saturday morning they had to be 100 decibels easily. I was still hearing them in late afternoon several hours after returning home :rofl: :lol: :rolleyes:
     
    basod, HDRock, Stinny and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    That's crazy loud! o_O My Stihl doesn't come close to that!! We need to introduce an invasive species that will eat the Cicadas and then worry about how to kill that species when we they become an overpopulated nuisance.

    We have them here too, but its been a long time on the off cycle and I don't want to check when their coming back either. :rolleyes:
     
    Stinny likes this.
  6. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    1999 was the last time I remember them being that load.. Maybe I am off by a year, but I remember it being a great fishing year. You could throw one on a hook, cast, they flap their wings for a second on the water and, BAM! Fish on!!
     
    Stinny likes this.
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    sounds like a subtle car alarm. Can't say I have heard them up this way. Crickets get pretty loud at night here.
     
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Do the peepers bother her? I leave my bedroom window open listening to them at night.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  9. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Peepers are cool. Those sick-a-tahs... whew, nuts.
     
    Fanatical1 likes this.
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I think they out number us 600 to 1. They are crazy loud!
     
    Fanatical1 and Stinny like this.
  11. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    Had to google them. Never heard of them, don't get them up here.
     
    Stinny and My IS heats my home like this.
  12. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    We had the 17yr Cicada in 2011 - insanely loud
    It's odd here I haven't heard the Caddydids yet they usually start right around the 21st give or take a day.
    After they start you can't hear yourself think after sundown and shutup ~4am when the birds start waking up. Heard a wooperwill yesterday morning.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    The first time we heard those was in the 90's when we drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Amazing but I would not want to be close to that very long.
     
  14. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,373
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Kinda sounds like my tinnitus.
     
    Stinny likes this.