In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sous Vide Thread

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by BCB, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Skier76

Skier76

We cooked ours last night for a bit over an hour. It was pink in the center and very tender.

2. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

That is one of the great things about SV. It is done at an hour but not overdone at 4. Take it out when it is convenient for you. I love this aspect for entertaining. Not sure how long appetizers and cocktails will last and when everyone will be ready to sit down? No problem, you leave it in the bath and only need a couple minutes to sear and serve! Also, slow cooked meats don’t need to rest like when you cook on a hot grill, so you can serve right away while the sear is still sizzling.

3. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

So the 1 hr would be the minimum

4. XXL

XXL

Great Info guys! Thanks for sharing:yes:

5. Skier76

Skier76

Chicken Tikka Masala. Picked up this jar at ALDI awhile back. Sautéed some peppers, cooked the chicken Sous Vide 150F for two hours, then dropped it in the sauce. Cooked some white rice on the stove top. This was excellent! I need to get more of that sauce, really good flavor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Warner

Warner

I’m really liking the sous vide. Growing up my mother always overcooked chicken and pork to the point that I really grew to not liking eating it. This thing is a game changer for sure!

7. Skier76

Skier76

Today’s cook! Half a rack of seasoned baby back ribs. They’ll be in at 165 for 11-12 hours.

Did a little wrap with plastic wrap, dish towels and cutting board to hold in the heat. I like that container for cooking ribs. It’s bigger than the usual stock pot we use and the ribs are a tight fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Skier76

Skier76

This delivered! I’ve done Souse Vide ribs before, but finished them on the charcoal grill. The oven worked very well.

Out of the bag, dried and reseasoned.
    [​IMG]

There was some liquid left in the bag, so I reduced that and added a little Carolina BBQ sauce. Wow! Came out excellent.
    [​IMG]

Out of the oven.
    [​IMG]

Plated and ready to eat! Just used the sauce I made which is in the small dish.
    [​IMG]

These pulled off the bone. Really good! I have another half rack ready to go; vac sealed and then n the freezer.

9. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

I need to figure out how to post videos! My Su-V gun showed up today. It produces a very hot concentrated flame for FAST searing. 10-15 seconds for a chicken breast.

Edit: does this work?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Woodsnwoods, Screwloose and Thor like this.
  10. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Nope. I think to post video you need to go through YouTube. But I have never done it.

11. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Attempt number 427:

Woodsnwoods, Screwloose, BCB and 4 others like this.
  12. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Now I need to get a steak!

Woodsnwoods, Screwloose, Thor and 2 others like this.
  13. Skier76

Skier76

Whoa! I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing! What do you have that hooked up to? A small propane tank or a grill tank? That thing is a beast!

14. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

It is designed for 1 lb propane canisters which is what I was using. It came with a stand that converts to hold both the thin blue 3” bottles and the wider shorter 4” Coleman shaped bottles. My kickstarter kit also included a hose for grill tanks but I have not unwrapped that one yet.

15. BCB

BCB

I use this sometimes. I also have a smaller one that I use for weeding the sidewalk cracks but I havent tried that one out yet.

Propane Torch

16. BCB

BCB

Is this what it looks like?

Probably not legal in NJ lol

17. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

I also have a couple weed burner torches including the harbor freight one with the igniter.

The Su-V gun is closely related to the Grill Gun above but has a shorter barrel and a shorter more focused flame specifically for searing meat. Same designer/manufacturer/seller. I don’t have a Grill Gun, but compared to the HF and red dragon weed torches, the flame is more focused and completely blue (complete combustion) and quite a bit smaller. I wouldn’t use the others in my kitchen!

You can see both grill gun an Su-V gun here. Note the flame profile difference in the pics. The GrillGun-The most exciting charcoal starting torch ever!

They are not guns or flame throwers so they are 50 state legal. For now.

They are MUCH more expensive than a HF weed torch. My kickstarter price was on par with a Searzall and this thing is way way better than one of those, so it seemed reasonable enough for an indoor usable torch. For lighting fires and cleaning out the smoker etc. I don’t see spending the money on the GrillGun vs the HF version.

18. Skier76

Skier76

Chicken Marsala made from a bone in breast then cut up. The real stand out here was the Marsala. We used actual Marsala wine from the liquor store; not the cooking stuff from the supermarket. It made a big difference; very flavorful!

[​IMG]

Woodsnwoods, Screwloose, BCB and 4 others like this.
  19. XXL

XXL

I am still doing the cheap mans Sous Vide. Today I used my slow cooker set to warm to keep this moose hip roast at a constant 132F for 7 hours. Seasoned with salt, pepper g,arlic powder, and rosemary and then into a Ziploc bag. I finished it off under a broiler for a few minutes. I should have taken a picture after the broil and before the knife but it smelled to good and tasted even better.
    20200226_150230.jpg

20. Skier76

Skier76

Nice! Did it hold the temp pretty steady for the entire cook?