In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. artc

artc

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    savemoney, Luneyburg, imacman and 4 others like this.
  2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Thank you everyone for the BD wishes :D
    Went to a local college for a valentine dinner :cheers::chef:
    It was a awesome 5 course meal :thumbs:

wildwest, savemoney, imacman and 6 others like this.
  3. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

I had a 1 course hamburger...
    :tears:

Dan

savemoney, ivanhoe, Luneyburg and 5 others like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Last night took both stoves off the thermostat by turning to stove temp and feed level at about 1 before I went to bed. I woke up about 1am and turned up the feed rate on the main floor stove to about 1.5. Upstairs is at 70* (at the thermostat in the office) and the downstairs is at 73.5.

At negative single digit temps outside, the stoves have to start up again right after they complete shut down. At that point, I want more constant heat - especially for the back bedrooms to stay at a decent temp. The in-line thermostats mess with the stoves' ability to run correctly running room temp / manual - the circulation fans shut down when the thermostat tells it to shut down. And I don't want the house to be above 75* (where the temp control would need to be in stove mode to keep the circulation fans running). I know people say that controlling the temp by feed rate is bad for the auger, but this is the way that works best for me - so you can save your criticisms :)

Once the outside temps rise a bit, and the sun comes out, I'll be turning them both back to thermostat control.

5. BHags

BHags

Awesome!

ivanhoe, jtakeman, imacman and 2 others like this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

Ssyko, ivanhoe, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  7. gbreda

gbreda

:thumbs:

Colleges sometimes have the best eats in the area. From a good pizza, nachos, burger etc to the schools culinary student restaurant for a real meal. UNH has/d one, cant remember the name but it was suppose to be top notch.

ivanhoe, bogieb, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  8. gbreda

gbreda

Looks like Well Seasoned and ivanhoe wins the "its freaking cold" award at minus 28 degrees this morning. :shiver:

"B" beat me too it :p and Pittsburg is showing colder on that one. Guess Well Seasoned can go swimming at their balmy temps in comparison :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    ivanhoe, bogieb, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  9. gbreda

gbreda

Having only 1 stove and its in the basement means stove temp all the time until spring. Actually uses less pellets that way for my setup ans stays warmer upstairs.

I turned it down last night at bedtime and this morning thought it had gone out as it was cold in the house. Should have left it up a bit more.

ivanhoe, bogieb, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  10. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

When I do that, I crank the thermostat up to 78...
    so that the factory probe is working as if the thermostat was not even there..
    Everything seems to work fine as designed..

Dan

ivanhoe, bogieb, imacman and 2 others like this.
  11. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Chickens were certainly frosty this morning!

ivanhoe, bogieb, imacman and 2 others like this.
  12. scajjr2

scajjr2

Did the same yesterday, just set the Skytech to "run" vs "thermostat" mode. Put it back to thermo once the sun was out for a while today. Use the DF pellets for days when it's real cold, excellent heat.

sam

ivanhoe, bogieb, IHATEPROPANE and 3 others like this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

Ahh, I never thought of that. I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

14. bogieb

bogieb

If the dang thing wasn't so expensive, I would think about changing out from my lux. But, me being a cheap skinflint, I'll stay with my $15 controllers and suffer with work arounds when needed ;)

jtakeman, imacman, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  15. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Day one of a 3 day weekend YES you read right I have a 3 day weekend ! Got a few text and emails trying to take it away from me but I stood my ground and hence will enjoy 3 days away from hell .
    Gave the P68 a good cleaning and reaping the benefits as while its nowhere as chilly as last night it's windy this evening and that wreaks havoc on the old shack , both stoves are cranking along burning a hardwood yep you heard it right hardwood as in Ambiancce from Valfei .(0 concerns with funneling or bridging although since I have sanded and waxed again it less significant)
    Going down to see the folks tomorrow as I have not had a weekend in a few months and I know they need help so south I go tomorrow and think I'll surprise them and show up on their doorstep as I don't want to commit to coming down and not be able to make it as that totally freaks out Pops. Look forward to it as I worked hard today at home and the only way to rest is to get away from work or home.

Hope all are well and warm
    Most importantly a belated Happy Birthday to Ivan !

16. bogieb

bogieb

GOOD FOR YOU! You work way too long and way too hard so you deserve and need the long weekend! Enjoy your time with your folks - even if it is a "need help" trip, it will be so good for all of you.

17. savemoney

savemoney

I took Cindy to Cracker Barrel in South Portland. I was wearing a VietNam vet hat. A lady who had sat at the table behind us came up to me and thanked me for my service. A couple minutes later, a manager came up to us and said our meal had been paid for. What a surprise. She had left enough for a generous tip to the young waiter. We also gave him another good tip. The waiter said that the lady was a US Marshall.

18. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

I do something similar to this, I have a programmable (that I didn't like when I first started using it) that has 4 selectable time blocks (user can adjust start & stop time for each block) over 24 hours; when I first hooked it up, I was letting it control the stove i.e. left the stove temperature control knob higher and let the t-stat temp dictate on off based on the room temps. I didn't like the pellet use so now I just leave the t-stat set higher than the control on the stove and only use the t-stat as a setback control for the middle of the day or at night when lower temps are desired; there is always the option to over-ride the programmed settings so if we need more heat when the lower temps are programmed, just adjust the t-stat as needed, no need to touch the stove controls anymore.

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:yes:
    :salute:
    :usa:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  20. bogieb

bogieb

I tried that on the P61a last night and bumped up against the issue of needing to have the temp on the stove above 75* for the distribution fan to stay on. And when the stove thinks it is 75* it is actually 77* in the basement. That is way too warm. I'll stick to my method since it is only an occasional need.

schoondog, savemoney, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.