In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Best way to get stove down stairs.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

That's what we do. Well, what we do when we don't use the stair walking dolly. Wow, I just looked at how expensive those are. It's one of those battery powered ones.

2. Horkn

Horkn

I'm not certain of the brand we have, but that's what it is. Battery powered stair walking dolly, like an escalara. This was part of my dad's plumbing and boiler shop. It was super handy for installation of boilers into people's basements.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Okay, from the looks of the driveway, drive one truck past the door (between the house and garage). Put a shackle or clevis on the rear of that truck so the strap can go through it at a 90 degree angle straight down the center of the steps. Strap up the stove on top of the three 2x6's and another vehicle (with weight and traction) to back up towards your stationary truck. It's all in the rigging to keep the strap running the correct direction. Be safe, this is not a hard situation.

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

this is pretty much the plan I was hatching

Chazsbetterhalf and Horkn like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If there is room for a vehicle there (appears to be) then that is a better idea than what I said about going through the doorway.
    Probably a moot point though if you can get a cheap rental on a stair climbing dolly...

Chazsbetterhalf and Horkn like this.
  6. tim117

tim117

Me and two friends carried my Englander add on furnace down my bilco one step at a time. I had removed the door bricks and blower beforehand. Also my bilco has a higher step up so we placed a pallet in front as mentioned above.

7. Kimberly

Kimberly

I would suggest removing the heat shields and getting them out of the way; they will lighten the stove as well and you won't have to worry about damaging the shields. When I got ready to bring mine in, I remove the door so I wouldn't worry about breaking the glass and it made the stove lighter. I removed the brick completely and removed all three shields from the stove.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.