In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

$30 Ms650 done! Almost ...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by clemsonfor, Oct 23, 2013.

  1. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Some of you may have crossed my many posts on this thing. But finally got it mostly together and could not resist the urge to crank it. I still am waiting on a few parts like screws and odds n ends but it runs.

    It does not sound like its making full power and the card does not seem to tune right. Not sure if I need to rebuild the Carb or its from the under size fuel line I squeezed on there. I did not have the right one so I used what I had but picked up some today when I was in town.

    I have sourced parts from all over. Used OE, new OE, china for plastic and handle.

    The switch shaft on the china handle is so flimsey it does not even work so I am in the process of getting an OE one.

    Need a new starter handle at some point and noticed the inside dog is missing? Anyone have one?

    IMG_20131023_200613.jpg IMG_20131023_200545.jpg IMG_20131023_200557.jpg
     
    raybonz, Pallet Pete, BrianK and 3 others like this.
  2. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Saw looks great. Even though I know nothing about repairing and rebuilding saws, I would first change the fuel line to the proper size, then retune. At least you can eliminate or confirm that is the problem.
     
  3. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yea that's the plan. I knew I could fire it on that line. But the saws acts like its not getting niff fuel so I am thinking that's The problem and am hoping it is.
     
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    NortheastAl likes this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    $30? Ok, you've got a deal. I will PM you with my address. :cool:
     
    clemsonfor and firecracker_77 like this.
  5. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Oh and I have way more than $30 into it now.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  6. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    2 strokes don't like air leaks. Commonly see them at the crank seals, gaskets and cause tuning issues. Did you check the bore for scoring, Look thru the exhaust port to see if there are major scratches. Even good smooth bore's could have warn rings.

    Give it a good once over. Do all the simple little things. But if it still doesn't act right get a gasket and pull the jug. Check the bores and rings. If the rings aren't sharp change em while your there.
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I think this is the third site I've read about this on, great job.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Haha jack. Yea its been a work in progress. Take a while to get stuff from china.

    The bore and piston look good. I thought about caber rings also if I pull jug. It will snatch the handle out of your hand though!! Will go check compression in a bit forgot I had a tester. Thanks Dex.
     
  9. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Just tested the compression. I think the P/C is good like my visual inspection showed. I also think the rings are healthy. My elbow hurts from yanking on thing thing now!! IMG_20131023_220038.jpg
     
    BrianK, NortheastAl and Grizzly Adam like this.
  10. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Clem, that's right on the money for a new saw. Ya done good!
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  11. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yeaa and its not new!! And i have not put a new P/C on it either. I was hoping it was just the big tree saw. I'm sure that's the original bar look at the worn paint.
     
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  12. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Yeah, I know it's not new. I was impressed that you got that compression out of it.
     
  13. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    That's a nice tester you got there!!

    If you didn't clean the carb? Then I would start there. DONT USE Compressed air.

    Use carb cleaner or the likes of it. There is a small screen that can clog easily. Also, have you changed the fuel filter??

    As for the $30 asking price? I have $130 + shipping :popcorn:
     
    mdavlee and clemsonfor like this.
  14. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Haha. I got a new fuel filter with the chicom handle!! Also came with the in tank line. I pulled the carb apart but did not soak it. I did not have a kit and f I pulled the gaskets and diaphragms there were gonna tear. I'll oder a kit just t be at square one and rebuild it.

    The plastic is really flimsy compared to OE but it works. But so far the handle seems like a good replacement if you have a busted one. Like I said the choke/run/stop lever on the stihl is only good for looks the thing torqs and is all filmsy when u go to use it.
     
  15. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    For those that forgot or have not seen my post before here is how I got the saw.
     
  16. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    No Linky..
     
  17. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yea it would not load a pic?? I think its cause my bed is so far from the router the signal drops in and out. So it won't load I guess.

    I tries, still no loading it, and I'm sitting 8 ft from the router?
     
  18. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    1379876100410.jpg OK got it? I restarted my phone and it worked?
     
  19. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Found some more things. The LA screw is busted off. Have to buy that. And I figured out why the choke lever was being missed by the switch cause the choke shaft is bent.. this is also damage from when the limb or whatever crushed the handle.
     
  20. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    The beast is done!! The fuel problem was the under size hose. I put the original on and it makes full power.

    Well I'm waiting on the LA screw and need an inner dog but that's it.

    AND needs a DP muffler!!
     
    DexterDay and Grizzly Adam like this.