Thought both these were both same type of cherry until I stacked one with the othet. Now Im cherry confused. Thoughts?
i think they are the same. The top round is solid and it looks like the sap wood has turned punk on the rounds below it.
Yeah the sap wood has gone punky on the one tree. Normally I wouldn't of bothered but it was in my way to some locust and there's decent heart wood left.
I don’t cut cherry unless it’s dead, a lot of what I get the sap wood is punk. The heartwood really does well, it will last a long time laying on the ground. The bad part about the punk sapwood is it makes a lot of ash and if you don’t keep it dry it will soak water up like a sponge.
I agree with Slocum . I dont score a lot of it and not a personal favorite, but if decent and free ill take it. Grows a lot roadside around here. Nice work btw!
It's the same. The older/larger trees usually have the darker bark, specifically closer to the stump. Not unusual to have the lighter gray bark on the same tree higher up, and then the gray 'not as flaky' bark further up on the smaller limbs. At least in my experience....