In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood racks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Dan-VA, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Dan-VA

Dan-VA

Here are my first wood storage solutions. The rack with the tin roofing is my seasoned wood for burning this year and the tote is wood felled this year seasoning for next winter. These are both inside wood, I'm currently working on an outdoor wood section. Pics to follow. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Maina

Maina

Welcome to FHC Dan-VA! :handshake:Great first post! Looks like you’re off to a wonderful start!:thumbs:

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Welcome to the club, Dan-VA !:handshake:

4. 460magpro

460magpro

5. Eckie

Eckie

I like the covered pallet rack, I'm planning on making several similar to that. And what a stack in the ibc crate! Welcome, you'll like it here...lots of great people with great information and encouragement to share!

6. Dan-VA

Dan-VA

Thanks, the covered rack only took about 30 minutes to fab and that includes the time for cutting the tin roof to size, luckily I had some old tin roof laying around. I get the totes pretty regularly from work so I can definitely see a lot of those being used in the future.

7. Eckie

Eckie

I would love to have a bunch of those totes, then i could load when i split and move them with the forks on the tractor.... What!!?? Only touch the wood once till ready to burn!?! That would be awesome!! But alas they're like $75-$125 around here...

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hi Dan-VA and welcome to the FHC! :handshake: Great to have you join us! I like them. Simple and effective. The IBC totes are popular on here. Ive never used them but if you get them free you cant beat the price.
    We're great repurposers on here!

9. farmer rob

farmer rob

touching the wood only once with racks is Great .I have 20 home built ones double stacked in my one shed is sweet for sure

10. imwiley1

imwiley1

Welcome to the club Dan-VA Nice looking stacks!

11. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I got access to almost a warehouse full of them basically free for the taking. About an hour’s drive to get em. I’ve just never figured a way to work them into my situation

12. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Welcome Dan-VA you’ll never look at a tree the same way again :tree:

13. snaple4

snaple4

Nice cover. I need to do something to cover mine but I always end up having an excuse not to build one. The most recent: wife wanted a hot tub. So I had to spend money on a slab, on a used hot tub, on the chemicals and replacement parts, on the sub panels and wire (I will confess that I wanted this) and so on. Total tally comes out to about what I budgeted for a large wood shed... o well, beats having my wife hanging me in my sleep.

One question though, is that all the wood you expect to use for the winter? I can go through all that in a week or two.

14. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

:rofl: :lol: This had me rolling. I was a little nervous last time I brought home a new saw, but it was fine and we are pretty balanced.

15. Yawner

Yawner

A consideration... there is someone on here who puts wood in homemade pallet boxes kinda like that... puts a 'sacrificial' pallet under each one to keep the main pallet from rotting from touching ground.

16. Chaz

Chaz

17. Dan-VA

Dan-VA

No, this is not all the wood, I have a few other piles. This is a new thing i was trying out to try to avoid using tarps for the next pile I will be burning. It holds just a little shy of a cord.

18. Dan-VA

Dan-VA

That's a good idea. I've thought about using the plastic pallets for the base as well.

19. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I was about to type this as well. The pallets touching the ground will rot in a year or two if left touching the ground. Could use sacrificial pallets as suggested. Could also use pressure treated 4x4, 4x6, or 6x6 runners. Could even use straight small diameter logs as runners. I’d use a durable wood like Red Oak, or Black Locust. This setup will also enable easier loading as it will be higher off the ground (less bending over), and will allow better airflow under the split wood which in theory should speed up seasoning time a little bit.

20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa