In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Derechos 1995

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Jun 4, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    concretegrazer and jetjr like this.
  3. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
  4. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Those storms are nasty. I still remember the storm that hit my area on May 30, 1998 like it was yesterday, even though it was over 16 years ago.

    http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may30-311998page.htm

    If you scroll down about 3/4 of the way you'll see a map of central lower Michigan. At the time I lived not far from Walker, which had estimated wind gusts of 130 MPH. No power for a week. The chainsaw got a workout after that storm.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  5. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    The one we had in Maryland 2 years ago was the first I ever heard of. We were about three days into restoring power before I even heard it named like that. I definitely could do without hearing it again.
     
    splitoak and Stinny like this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    When I was dumb enough to get caught in a Micro Burst, I thought that was bad, the Derechos are much worse.
     
  7. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Definitely scary chit if caught off guard.....l especially in the woods! Ton of rain moving in tonight. Strong storms tomorrow, hopefully no derechos
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Hopefully our Kentucky members are safe tonight. Heard about a tornado in Christian County.......
     
    concretegrazer and splitoak like this.