In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Portable generator thoughts

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Andy8850, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Andy8850

Andy8850

Do you have the Kubota Diesel or another make?

2. fuelrod

fuelrod

Yes the Kubota in a pic above.
    I've used smaller gas Kubota generators for well over 25 years as a contractor. That was before Honda's were in the picture. Before that we fought with pretty heavy and hard (or failed) to start dinosaur's.
    As I have seen on the job, the Honda's are equal, I just started with the orange one and they never gave me a reason to quit them. We did change the oil almost everyday at lunchtime, only a quart and as hard as they worked..... They earned it.
    As a primary backup with 24 hour or more running time during a power outage, it's hard to argue against a water cooled diesel generator, especially if you already have heating oil or diesel fuel on hand.

3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Oil changes everyday seem a bit extreme!! What 12 hours run time? I might do it once a week even as an extreme.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. fuelrod

fuelrod

Take care of your tools and they'll take care of you!
    This was a while ago also, used to get a quart of oil for less than a can of soda today. Also a $1500 generator 25 + years ago was a substantial investment, at least to me. No generator, no work, no money.:eek: Same went for my guys.

5. mirnldi

mirnldi

When it’s running for 40 hours straight, I get nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Andy8850

Andy8850

proper service is never overkill, especially on a significant investment and it costs a quart of oil

7. Andy8850

Andy8850

Well worth the quart or two of oil

8. mirnldi

mirnldi

Absolutely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Not_chip

Not_chip

If price isn't a problem I would probably go with a large honda generator or a few smaller ultra quiet Hondas

10. Andy8850

Andy8850

I have a small Honda for camping, it’s quiet and efficient but I think I am gonna go for a Kubota lowboy, I love Kubota products it’s a little pricey but the Kubotas I own are beasts and super reliable, thank you fuelrod for the input

11. Andy8850

Andy8850

Going with a lowboy myself, thanks for the input

12. Felter

Felter Banned

check craigslist and facebook, you can find used ones that are practically brand new for next to nothing.

13. JCMC

JCMC

I just have a 20 year old Coleman 5500 watt generator. I keep it in a Rubbermaid shed and start it three or four time s a year and let it run for 15 -20 minutes then shut off the gas and let it run out It usually starts on the second pull. It is hooked thru a transfer switch and works well for me.

14. fuelrod

fuelrod

My cousin is an electrician and regularly finds $400 generators that used to be standby for outages, after he installes one of those little Generac units.
    He told me that they are NOT rated for 24 hr. service without daily oil changes (or something to that affect) and that they'll use up to 3 gal/hr (propane) and you better have a brother in the LP business during 2-3 day outage. Propane tanks are "full" at 80% and need refilled at 15%,, not leaving a whole lot of fuel unless you have a 500 gal. tank or more dedicated to the generator only. They are hard to beat for the convenience and price, as well as the "hands off" operation for the homeowner for the occasional several hour outages such as they have "in town".

15. Felter

Felter Banned

good info!:thumbs:

hey just wondering, with your set up how do you know when the power comes back on?

16. Stinny

Stinny

Good question... and one I've been meaning to deal with here. (It's on my list... :whistle:)... I use a 6500 watt Honda genny and just disconnect the main from the power co while in use. Connect a circuit (with it's own fuse / breaker) that comes directly off the main 220 line coming into my panel, before the main breaker. Then, it would be easy to have a pilot light located where we'd see it, to let us know when power is back on. Yeah, I know, I really should install a contactor switch to auto dis-connect from outside power. Might actually do that someday... :zip: ... uh huh... :heidi:

17. Felter

Felter Banned

:thumbs: like most of us I'm sure you have an unending list of things you need to get around to doing!!! :hair::rofl: :lol:

18. Stinny

Stinny

Nope... no sireee... pftttttt... :picard:

19. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Diesel is really nice if you have the cash for it. If your house's central heat runs of fuel oil, even better, you can just tap off your oil tank to run the generator.

What is the output from the Kubota? If it's an inverter output like the Honda, coupled with a diesel engine, that's as good as it gets.

20. fuelrod

fuelrod

That's one of the inconvenience's of a "plug in" back up, along with getting it out and hooking it up. I am at the end of the end of the line in the sticks, and fully understand that the power company will concentrate on higher density areas first where a 2 man crew can re light 50,000 homes in the same time it takes them to get me back on line. It's not like the don't have some crews in our area, but the pig "push" on their part is where they can get the biggest numbers (back on line) in the shortest time.
    Stinny that's also one of my "roundtoit's" a small pilot light off the street side of my disconnect avoiding a 100' walk (with my fingers crossed) out to my meter to see if I got juice yet. I even have several spare conduits I can use.