In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I really should get in the Firewood selling business

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by VOLKEVIN, Nov 27, 2019.

1. ironpony

ironpony

Exactly by the time you meet all the rules they are not making much, ah govt.

2. billb3

billb3

If you don't heat with firewood, don't own a chainsaw or any interest in making firewood and only want a bundle for one night it's what you buy.
    ^^^^^This demographic is a lot larger than the chainsaw owning demographic. They're hardly idiots, just have a different lifestyle.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Mine arent as nice but same size @.75 cubic feet. Trust me guys we are not sitting on gold mines! Ive tried to retail bundles with little success. Sticking with wholesale and partial cordage. IMG_1321.JPG

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

slang name for my old home town...Wallingford

5. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I totally agree. I always laugh when I see a pickup truck full of purchased wood bundles and camping gear headed TO THE MOUNTAINS to camp. People pay 6$ a bundle, when all they have to do for firewood up here is literally bend over and pick it up off the ground. What’s wrong with people?

6. imwiley1

imwiley1

You have to get your BuZZsaw BRAD logo on them and they'll go like hotcakes! It's all in the marketing.

7. imwiley1

imwiley1

You are absolutely right.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

couple years ago i would insert a recipe sized card with my info in the bundles as i assembled them if someone wanted a larger quantity of wood...1/4 cord etc. These were my wholesale bundles. It was a waste of time!

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have to agree. One of my favorite parts of tent camping is scrounging for wood of course. We have the fire going for at least 6 hours at night and another two in the morning so a LOT of wood is needed. The last two years ive brought wood with us and scrounged at the campground otherwise id spend the entire trip looking for wood!
    Ive thought of taking my PU full of bundles to sell there but we go during the week when its not as crowded.
    Last time we went in Sept. a mother and daughter camped across from us. She noticed my pile of sticks. I explained how to find burnable wood in the area, later that night we see them return with a bundle of wood and fast food!
    Ms. buZZsaw is a former girl scout leader of many years and loves to rough it as do i.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

They dont realize that this stuff literally just grows on trees! :rofl: :lol:

11. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

THERE IS NO WAY THIS IS REAL LIFE

EVEN LESS OF A CHANCE THAT PEOPLE BUY THIS CRAP. WE REALLY ARE AT THE END OF TIMES IF THIS IS LEGIT!

bciprince and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. ErikR

ErikR

It says right in the title, Comedy/Satire!!! Take a deep breath....

Chazsbetterhalf and MikeyB like this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

And I am sure the yuppies in New York city will pay those prices for hand crafted firewood. Hope I didn't step on any toes; but hey, that is what steel toe boots are for.

Chazsbetterhalf and MikeyB like this.
  14. Kimberly

Kimberly

Serious question; do you also sell kindling bundles to go along with the log bundles? I bet there are plenty of people that would think they could start those logs with some crumble newspaper.

15. Kimberly

Kimberly

Some of the local state parts around here won't let you bring in your own firewood, they want you to purchase it from them because of beetles; that is what they claim. I would if they would allow kiln dried store bundles since there shouldn't be any beetles left alive after going through the kiln. Buying it from the state park is rather pricey.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have two regular cordage customers i sell kindling to when i drop their wood. Couple boxes each at a time but thats pretty much it. I scrounge scrap boards and make split kindling for them.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

We camped at a state park and state forest campground this past Summer. Both were selling the onion bags fulls of wood. I could see the wood was nice and clean. I questioned how good it would actually burn. Of course i wouldnt buy it unless i was very desperate. Cant remember if they asked if we had brought wood or not.

18. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Ha Ha! Yep!

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  19. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

There aren't any rules like that in Colorado that I'm aware of. I've been wrong before though. I've been camping here my whole life. I've never been asked a single question about my firewood. Seems like it would be a killer money maker for the state though!

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  20. Woodshax

Woodshax

Sooooo... my 2 cents on selling firewood by the stick. Every State is different but the Forestry Department is starting to pressure states to follow some standard rules to stem the spread of invasive species and Tree disease.

Even here in Texas where we don't go in much for rules and regulations, our State Parks want to move towards tighter rules

You can't gather wood in Tx parks.... it is a slippery slope.....once you allow it, then people start gathering with chain saws

"Kiln dried" means nothing.... it is not a standard...you can run wood through a kiln for 5 minutes and call it kiln dried. The standard is "heat treated" which requires federal certification and random checks to get the USDA stamp which allows you to move and sell firewood in the States that require it

Other States (parks) require heat treated or proof that it has been sourced between 25 and 50 miles (depending on the state) from where it is burned.

I sell by the bag (2Cuft by volume... but you can only fit about 1.3 cuft in a bag cut at 18" and split small and medium ) Hardwood, below 20% moisture and sources within 50 miles of each park where I sell.

The problem most parks have is that if they sell firewood, they have to lock it up when the staff goes home......if they keep it unlocked and use an honor box...the average theft rate is between 20-25%.... the darker it gets the less honest people become.

We will do a little more than $250K in sales with right at half of that being profit . Niche and by the stick can pay off.