In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Computer Memory?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Sep 12, 2019.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

New ram finally here, busy this week, hope to get it installed next week, I'll still have 3 weeks then to get the presentations ready.

T.Jeff Veal, Stephiedoll and papadave like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Took desk apart today to remove my AIO pc and install new RAM, bought the wrong kind memory :picard: Weird , the RAM in this computer is short, like 2.5" ish.

The timeline on getting the excel and power point docs has changed with yet another continuance :headbang: So I have more time to get them done :rolleyes:. I have a laptop that I could move to, 6GB ram, but my MS Office is only good for one computer and I am better with the larger desktop screen and separate keyboard (and have a bad track record with laptops.....:whistle:)

I went to Kingston Memory Finder and the results don't match up. If I am identifying things correctly this has 2 banks for the short ram sticks, is the picture below helpful to suggest ideas? , please excuse the dust, (next is Kingsford Ram Finder)
    IMG_20191004_132853350.jpg

upload_2019-10-4_13-26-49.png
    Thanks

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz

You do have two banks for memory, and currently 2, 4GB sticks installed.

I'm outta practice on deciphering the codes to help ya order what you no need though.
    :confused:

T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:confused:

Thanks, that makes sense why there are two stickers on the one stick now. There is an extra set of brackets on top of the pic I showed, thought I could slip an extra 4 in since "about my computer" said I only had 4 installed. But my eyes nor computer know how is not great. Idk, maybe it's time for an upgrade.

I really like this computer, the cpu is built in behind the monitor, I was impressed after removing the back cover for the first time after 5 years and it was as clean as it was. All my cpu's in the past separate from the monitor and keyboard ended up on the floor sucked in a lot more dust and pet hair. I'll take a looksie if they still make these all in one desktops.

I have a couple TB backup thing running ( WD MyBook ), can I restore pics to a new computer if I find one? If not where do I store those pics, oh, and important documents I'll need to call up to complete for early 2020?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and Chaz like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Was shopping for a new computer and having sticker shock, found a refurb CPU ensemble but I really don't want separate CPU, than finally tried Lenovo again , could not get the connected help "Bridge" to run but a chat person was VERY helpful. I do indeed only have one 4gb installed. Have the correct info to get a correct 4gb stick. Idk as said above, for the $ going to try it, as it appears I've gotten this far with 4gb so 8 will be double.

Too bad, my orig order when I bought it in 2014 I paid extra for another 4gb stick but it was not installed nor shipped. Maybe the wrong stick I ordered a couple weeks ago will fit kiddos bare bones set up.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Horkn, Chaz and papadave like this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz

So sorry wildwest this thread slipped by when I was having my phone debacle.
    :doh:

Glad they helped you get set up with correct RAM, that'll help a bunch.
    :dancer:

Horkn and wildwest like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

No Worries Chaz! I've been preoccupied too. But had enough of the minute or two pauses between pics all day Fri Sat and today browsing for my good pics of my dad. I won't have the ram before the service but it should help out with the MSOffice things due late Jan.

Horkn and Chaz like this.
  8. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

If the pc is bogging down for a really long time go into your browser and clear out the history. Just make sure if you have saved passwords you do not delete them and even if you do not ensure you have them saved to paper somewhere. You could have links there that are trying to sync to the internet and update the stored pages. It could also be syncing to a cloud storage if that is enabled.

Horkn, Chaz, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you. We finally have high speed internet for the first time after all this time, I hooked up my cell phone for the first time. I went to clear my browsing history on my PC where I do 99% of googling and it spun for an hour and did not finish though it's ususally only a minute or two.

Tried a few more times with same results, would not finish clearing. Then pressed a button to UNSYNC my phone from PC and it finally all cleared out. I have many windows open at this time working on a poem but this is not uncommon when I do genealogy or even other things, I go back and forth between them.

upload_2019-10-15_15-55-27.png

Why so many Chromes listing usage, I have 16 open, not 24, and it will also say like 10 Chromes open though I only have one window open.

billb3 I've been into startup and msconfig a few times but I cannot make heads or tails what is essential or what is garbage.

Horkn and Chaz like this.
  10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

What are we talking about?:BrianK:

Horkn, wildwest and Chaz like this.
  11. jo191145

jo191145

I’ve just been running Apple since W8 came out so I’m very rusty. With windows pro I could shove a 32 gig USB in the port and configure it to run with Ram Memory. At least I think I remember doing that. I know for certain I could add it to the hard drive memory.
    I think your 2.6 CPU is a limiting factor. Once again, if memory serves, I think that’s real bottom of the line processor speed. As I recall nothing can fix that.
    I know one thing for sure. I forgot a whole lot about computers.

wildwest likes this.
  12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Best bag for the buck for my wifes laptop was ditching the sata hdd and cloning it over to a SSD hdd. Speed was up to 6 times faster and boots 3 times faster. She's happy

Upping the ram from 4 to 8 GBs. didn't do all that much as far as making it any zippier.

papadave likes this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Help please? I have not installed new memory yet, thinking I'd better fix this before I mess with anything so the new ram is used properly instead of being sucked up.

I have ONE chrome window open. ONE.

Cleaned cookies and ran Disc Clean.

It's worse lately, only change that I cannot recall if the same time or right before or after is Upgraded version of MalwareBytes which is turned off at the moment, so not sure that's it.

upload_2019-11-14_11-11-45.png

upload_2019-11-14_11-20-2.png

upload_2019-11-14_11-21-15.png

upload_2019-11-14_11-22-21.png

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I updated and immunized and now running spybot. Not happening. Only 5% progress in 45 minutes. Can I run this in safe mode? Can I bother you Grizzly Adam ?

15. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

So are you talking about your disk or your memory. Your words say memory, you image says disk.

Chaz, wildwest and papadave like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thread. Started out as memory but now the problem is the disk, graphics above ,and spybot will take like 25 hours.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  17. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

What do you mean "graphics above."?

wildwest likes this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The task manager pics of my disk performance. Trying to get it into safe mode now. New error I got around :picard: but takes forever to boot, like 20 minutes.

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Darn phone does not recognize my fingers.

Chaz likes this.
  20. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

First off, just put the new Ram in. There is no reason to wait. Second, why not wipe the drive and reinstall your OS?

Chaz, wildwest and papadave like this.