In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why didn't the cherry catch on fire fast?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Nov 13, 2019.

  1. Yawner

    Yawner

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,128
    Likes Received:
    11,914
    Location:
    Louisiana
    I've never burned cherry, so, was looking forward to it. I had cut a small cherry tree that had to go, was growing up into a nuisance area at my house. I cut it 5-6 months ago. Yesterday, I grabbed some of the small limbs off the stack, they were 2-3 inch diameter, small! I split one to get a reading and it was 12%! Alright, ready to go! Yet, upon starting up a firepit fire, they did not catch on fire easily. Once they got going, after using three firestarter bricks, water sizzled out the ends. They finally caught on and burned great. But... 12%... that sure does seem low! Anyone know the scoop? "Should it" have started easier reading only 12%? That reading seems a bit suspect but I checked it twice and the meter seems to be working normally lately.

    And does cherry provide a pleasant odor if it's been longer dried? I didn't notice anything special about the smell.
     
  2. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    If water is sizzling out it’s not 12%. Branches can be a real pain to dry. We used to keep all our branch material in long sticks and cut them on the buzzsaw rignt as we brought them into the cellars. Dead branches ok. Stuff like Black Birch which is close to cherry bark wise would sizzle after sitting for a year. Bark is a protective coating that among other things helps keep water in.
    I would say either you found one dead branch that had dried or your MM is off, drastically.
     
  3. Slocum

    Slocum

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2018
    Messages:
    1,363
    Likes Received:
    10,488
    Location:
    North Central Indiana
    Cherry drys fast but I still give it 2 years to dry. I like the smell of it. I try to mix it with something like ash cause my only problem with cherry is it don’t burn down well. It leaves chunks of charcoal that don’t burn up. Mix it with something else and problem solved. I’d give your wood another season to dry if you can.
     
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Oh yeah, the smell.
    I never really smell wood burning in the stove. I do outside at times but it’s always pretty much the same to me.
    I’ve done a lot of woodworking with Cherry. It’s a twisty wood full of desire to warp as you cut it.
    Cutting cherry smells good, just like cherry. When it twists into a table saw blade and begins to burn it smells horrible.
     
  5. Slocum

    Slocum

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2018
    Messages:
    1,363
    Likes Received:
    10,488
    Location:
    North Central Indiana
    I never really smell it inside. I enjoy catching a wif while outside.
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,886
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Is it possible you were reading the MM upside down so it was 21% instead of 12%? Ive seen that happen on here more than once!
    Rounds, regardless of diameter, take longer to dry out and the sizzle showed it!
     
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  7. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,343
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Sure sounds like it is too wet. Must have gotten a bad reading or poor prong placement on the MM. 6 months doesn't seen anywhere long enough for cherry unless it was standing dead maybe.
     
  8. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Branch wood takes longer to dry. If that was split once it would've probably been dry enough. Even in 6 months.

    If it sizzled from the ends it wasn't 12%.
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    There is a difference in cherry. Choke cherry can really be difficult to dry, especially the limbs. It is more like birch in that sense.

    As for the scent most people talk about, I've never got excited over it nor have I ever noticed much scent to cherry, especially when it is burning. When it burns, it smells like smoke.
     
    buZZsaw BRAD, Horkn, Slocum and 2 others like this.
  10. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,645
    Likes Received:
    144,587
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Bummer, I was expecting a corny knock knock joke about why the cherry didn't catch fire fast.
     
    Horkn, Slocum, Timberdog and 6 others like this.
  11. Stoveaclaus

    Stoveaclaus

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2019
    Messages:
    330
    Likes Received:
    2,358
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    The cherry I CSS in february is reading 14% on the MM. A nice golf course hoard.
     
    yooperdave, Horkn, Slocum and 2 others like this.
  12. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,113
    Likes Received:
    163,181
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    This ^ ^ ^...that paper bark on cherry limbs seals the moisture in...I've had small limbs rot in my stacks because of that...