In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Custom Wolfe ridge splitter

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwhore, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

2. MikeyB

MikeyB

Just watched that video last night. Very cool

3. Skier76

Skier76

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

cool machine, but give me a Fiskars or Isocore!:axe:

5. GrJfer

GrJfer

I good get a lot done with one of those. Hmmm wonder where in Arkansas it went to?

Backwoods Savage and Midwinter like this.
  6. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Well i just fixed my buddies supersplit and i split a face cord in like 10 minutes. Thise things are ridiculous

Backwoods Savage, MikeyB and M2theB like this.
  7. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I still love splitting by hand also but love my ariens splitter

Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  8. papadave

papadave

Just think, Dennis Backwoods Savage could get with the horizontal splitting program if he had one of those. :dex::D

wishlist, Stinny and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Those chunks are too big, a lot of resplitting and re handling.

That's why the box style splitters are better. Plus, the ergonomics of this Wolfe ridge are not the best. Watch when he uses the log lift to bring the big lots up, then he had to reach across the chassis to get the controls.

10. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

He says right in the video they want boiler chunks as it was a special order. Built for their needs so it's all good. Some people don't want slivers.

GrJfer, Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

I watched it with the sound off.;)

Ok that works for this situation, but even with the extra blades they added, there's still large chunks on the outside and a bit of extra handling.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not a chance Dave. Simply put, I just can not stand while working like that. It is harder on my back than the way I do it. Besides, just think about how much more it cost to have and run a machine like that. Yes, it is neat that someone can make such things but I would not expect to sell many. Just eye candy. And yes, he could make a few more improvements on it.

However, when you consider the average homeowner and his needs, he simply does not need all that. And the cost even of a log lift can be high for many people. Then consider that the machine in the video requires an big engine... A 30 gallon gas tank on the machine. I don't think I have ever ran more than 5 gallons of gas in a year of splitting with ours. So gas and oil alone add to the cost. Now consider that all machines do break down from time to time. This is where it really shines to have simple equipment.

As for me and my house, we'll stick with the smaller machines and split vertically while sitting.

Horkn, eatonpcat, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  13. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

I have a 4 way for my splitter and I find I don't use it as much as I thought. Creates too much trash/smalls for me so I tend to only put it on when i have the "perfect" pieces to 1/4. Even pieces for stacking and handling trump the speed factor of just blowing through. Quality over quantity I guess. The new owner will have to have a better catch system, that's for sure. Makes me cringe hearing that splitter stuttering with that box wedge at the end. Force has to go somewhere and too much binding for me. Getting a knotted piece stuck would make all the time saved before, go away fast. neat to see but not for me.

jrider, Horkn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. papadave

papadave

Yep, unless you need to process a whole bunch of firewood and sell it or provide for several family members (as some here do), that one is way overkill. Wait, maybe Scotty could use one?
    It's interesting how you have trouble standing (so do I, to a point) in one place too long, and my knees couldn't handle being scrunched up sitting on a milkcrate....even for a minute. Literally. :hair:
    You know I was just messin' with ya', right?

15. jo191145

jo191145

I think those wedges that form the ring need a litttle more angle out to avoid some of that binding.
    I went through the trouble of re-engineering and building a four way from scratch. The original just couldn’t hold itself together. Even after all that I use the single like you. Just didn’t see enough utility out of it.
    Maybe a three way? Let the top blade shear first and then just a simple vertical split? Maybe useful for those who are hanging wood from above. Should avoid the vertical split running up through the round.

16. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Should be “ Backwords Savage “. Super nice guy but can’t split worth a hoot ! Lol

17. papadave

papadave

I'll just :popcorn: and wait......:picard:

18. wishlist

wishlist Guest

When I was shopping for a new splitter earlier this spring I seen something similar down in southern Michigan . Company is called American something or another ? Anyways , it was some ungodly diesel splitter with like 90 tons , ram was huge . Tandem axle . It was neat to look at but really a small market imo for people who use this thing .
    For what it’s worth, I found a smoking deal on a used Timberwolf T-5 with all the goodies . Absolutely love the log lift and 4 way . I get some good sized ash rounds and it makes short order of splitting . Haven’t found anything to stop it yet . I need a good 3 full cords of wood just for the maple evaporator and small splits work best and the 4 way really is a huge time savor .

19. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Did you know papadave that Backwords puts Christmas lights on his splitter in December ? No kidding , It looks like a skinny Christmas tree with a red milk crate on top .

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It's funny how everyone picked up on the milk crate but haven't picked up on the fact that now I can't use one!