In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Newbie here

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Patrick MO, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Patrick MO

Patrick MO

I've been snooping around here for a few weeks and enjoy all the good info. We just bought a house in August that has a fireplace insert and I've never had a fireplace in my life. So, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with a country flame E1? Any and all advice is more than welcome. TIA

2. coreboy83

coreboy83

Hello, welcome to the club. My advice, get ahead on your wood ! I have a tree service that I text whenever I’m ready for a load.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Welcome, Patrick.

You might benefit from this, and other documents, that can be found above in "Resources".

Primer on Woodburning by Backwoods Savage

Regarding your specific insert, I'm sure someone will chime in with info.

4. Patrick MO

Patrick MO

That's what I've been reading, I definitely need to get ahead on wood. I bought a cord of "seasoned" oak which isn't bad but not as dry as it could be. I have a moisture meter and most fresh splits are low 20's MC.

5. Patrick MO

Patrick MO

I read this, good read. I definitely need some dryer wood. I bought a cord of "seasoned" oak which isn't bad but the MC is low 20's.

6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Welcome to the club, we're glad to have you....

I'm not familiar with the insert you questioned, but whatever you choose to do, please make sure your flue/fireplace is inspected to be sure it's all safe.

Glad to have you along for the ride with us!

7. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

THIS! Not knowing any better, I ran both of my stoves off and on occasionally the first year I had the house. The second year, I planned to burn regularly, and at the urging here, I had the flu's inspected. I found that the basement stoves flue had a fire in it sometime prior to my purchasing the house, and isn't safe for use until I put a liner in it.

8. Patrick MO

Patrick MO

I have already had it cleaned and inspected, it's in tip top shape. The insert has a cat and has a SS liner.

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Welcome Patrick MO , Sounds like you are ready to start heating! Don't have any experience with your insert but may I ask what chainsaw do you have?

10. Patrick MO

Patrick MO

I actually don't have a chainsaw. I've never even had a fireplace until now. I just bought some wood and have been trying to learn it. This isn't our primary heat source, just plan to offset propane cost.

11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

You think this is just an interesting casual plan offset your primary heat. A couple weeks of daily fires and your propane will become inadequate. The wife will never again be able to keep warm next to a heat vent. She will be calling on you to "add more wood, the fire is burning low", "Honey, will you bring more wood in, the weatherman says lower temps tonight" and finally, "love, will you split some kindling, I want to start the fire myself". And you will do this gladly because you agree with it all and can't live without that radiant, enveloping warmth glowing from your insert! I foresee, by winters end (late Spring at the latest), a new chainsaw and perhaps a small trailer (if you don't already own a pickup or minivan). Resistance is futile.

FatBoy85, lotifoazurri, Sean and 6 others like this.
  12. bear 1998

bear 1998

Very very well spoken....

13. fox9988

fox9988

I can think of 5 Country Flames owned by friends over the years. 3 free standing, 2 inserts. All pre-EPA, decades old, dead reliable.

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

X2

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Lots of great folks here sharing knowledge and humor. I think you will like it here. I grew up with wood heat, then got married, first house had propane furnace, second house that we live in now has electric furnace and had mobile home fireplace. Between that in the winter and AC in our GA summers the electric bill was $$$$. 5 yrs ago we took out that fireplace and installed a free standing Drolet Blackcomb stove. Haven't used electric heat since and bill is 1/2 what it used to be. IMG_20151016_101440226.jpg IMG_20190129_011225178.jpg

FatBoy85, lotifoazurri, Sean and 4 others like this.
  16. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Nice setup there Jeff!

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Thank you sir. The "Hitched Together" artwork you designed for us is hanging over that hallway to the left of the hearth, where everyone can see it. Thanks again for such a nice gift...

FatBoy85 and metalcuttr like this.
  18. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Glad to see you got those wood boxes filled up Jeff. That is a nice setup you have.

FatBoy85, metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Patrick welcome to FHC. We like beer,dogs, and pics. Lots of pics. You'll like it here. Do you know other people locally that heat with firewood. They might be a good mentor for you, right along with us.

FatBoy85, metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. NVhunter

NVhunter

How big is that hearth? It looks huge!!! I really like the stone work. I want to do similar work behind my stove. I have a corner install with drywall on one side and block wall on the other side. I've got some ideas brewing but time and money are the two things I need, and don't have either right now.....:(