In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

8 cord with one chain?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by saewoody, Nov 4, 2019.

1. saewoody

saewoody

So I was cutting wood out in the yard yesterday, and a guy stopped to ask what rand of chain I was using. I told him I had recently put on a new Oregon chain. He asked how I liked it, so I told him I was happy with it so far. I’ve probably cut less than 2 cords with it.

So he proceeded to tell me that he bought a Stihl chain for his saw and he cut 8 cords without needing to sharpen it. He said all he did was add gas and oil to the saw. He showed me a pic of the delivered log load that he had cut. He spoke very highly of this chain, and said he just wanted to let people know how happy he was with it.

I am not doubting what he told me; I am just curious. How much cutting can you get out of a chain before sharpening? I usually give a light sharpening by hand every couple of tanks, or as needed.

So I am curious what kind of cutting time you get from a chain between sharpenings, and even what types/styles and even brands of chains all are using. And even what type of chain you might think I this guy likely had. He said he bought it at a power equipment place, not a big box store. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. In the Pines

In the Pines

I am doubtful but I'm still a greehorn. Well I don't doubt he cut 8 cords on it, but I doubt it was fun.

3. tamarack

tamarack

I call BS! Unless it was all off the ground in a sawbuck, and he washed every log with a pressure washer. Or meebe if it was all de-barked. Sounds like some old time story telling to me. I run Stihl and Oregon chains and can get 1-1.5 cord cut on a freshly sharpened chain. But I always file or swap to a different chain if I feel it not wanting to self feed or if chips turn to dust . I would really like to see someone cut 8 cords of wood without sharpening a chain.

4. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

8 cords of sassafras sounds like a lot of wood.

5. papadave

papadave

Did he hand you his Stihl business card?:whistle:

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

If it was fresh cut softwood with zero dirt on it, MAYBE 8 face cords without sharpening. A carbide chain YES, but those are used mostly on rescue saws.
    I used to get Oregon chains from big box store for my 290 with 16" bar.
    Now using Carlton on my 20" bar for my 261. Got a great deal on ebay for two NIB with damaged package.
    The 20 & 28" bars for my 460 have Stihl chain. Need a couple new Stihl 16" chains for the 290 which im currently not using.
    All of these are full chisel on Stihl saws.
    I sharpen on a regular basis even in the field. Usually just a couple strokes on each tooth. I have duplicates of most chains so i can swapout in the field if i hit a nail/dirt etc...catastrophic dulling as i call it! Sometimes i dont feel like field sharpening and will just swap.
    I would say two tank fulls of gas per touch up sharpening on average, but it seems almost habitual for me to touch up on every fill up. Once you get used to cutting with a super sharp saw (trying saying that three times fast) you dont wanna go back.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. jo191145

jo191145

I’m of the opinion a Stihl chain will remain sharper longer than an Oregon. Harder teeth. They also stretch much less. 8 cords is a bit much though. Doesn’t matter what brand chain one mistake or some dirt on the wood and it’s going to dull.
    I’ve finally gotten good enough at sharpening that I don’t waste time with a dull chain.

id even say the 3/8’s Oregon is better quality than the .325. My 550xp just didn’t like Oregon .325. Had a stihl dealer whip me up a loop for it. Night and day difference.
    On my 3/8’s saws I doubt I could tell the difference.

8. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Maybe 8 face cords of softwood, but even that is doubtful. That or he was making tons of powder at the end. I touch mine up every two tanks by hand and grind depending on results of my file or if I hit a rock or nail.

9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

IMHO Stihl chain is some of the best "out of the box" that you can buy & is my preference. 8 cord, I really doubt it. I've cut just over a cord on the same chain, no sharpening, that was clean Maple. As most do I'll touch up my chain at two tanks max. I suppose you could do 8 cord if you didn't hit anything hard, but the chain would be miserable to cut with.

10. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

My dealer keeps telling me I need to try a carbide loop but I’m so used to touching up at every fill-up that I’m not sure it’s worth it. But maybe with sandy or dirty logs. Mo money mo money mo money

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

8 cords under perfect conditions...maybe. Stihl chain does hold up well.
    Can he sharpen it? I've heard that most places can't, and the ones that do :makeitrain"

12. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Guess I’m not sure. They probably wouldn’t know the difference. I’ve had them sharpen chains a few years back... just say this, a fiend asked to borrow a saw as his won’t run, so I offered my little 180. When I asked about it an few days later, he said he dropped it off at that shop to get it sharpened and told them to bill him. I rushed down and found it untouched(thankfully), and said no thanks on the sharpening. They eat thru a chain in about 2-3 sharpenings and their angle never matches anything I have gauge wise. I don’t get it.

13. campinspecter

campinspecter

Bucked and noodled this tree without sharping with a new Oregon chain on a new Husky bar.
    I usually file about every half cord as most of the wood I see is dirty.
    Tree 033 - Copy.jpg
    Tree 036 - Copy.jpg
    IMGP1409 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP1410 - Copy.JPG

14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

They don't sharpen carbides & they cut slow. Save your money.

15. huskihl

huskihl

Slow for some = fast for others.

16. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Heard the same thing. Slower cutting & have to send away to get sharpened.

17. bogydave

bogydave

Maybe log length cord? :D
    Felling, liming, bucking;
    I get 2 cord cutting clean birch , notice it slowing down at that point. oregon LGX.
    Maybe 3 with Stihl , again put on a new sharpened chain, noticeable better.
    Can you hog & force it , yea, but why .
    8 cord ..????... Not on my saw

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  18. Blstr88

Blstr88

I can't imagine doing 8 cord without sharpening either.

Maybe he meant 8 cord without having it sharpened professionally on a grinder? That might be...just touching up by hand I can probably get 8 cord I guess. I have about 10 chains...I put one on and use it/sharpen by hand probably 15 times or so, then hang that chain on a nail in my barn and put a new chain on. After I have 8 or so chains hanging I drop them off at the hardware store for a good sharpen on a grinder, and start back over again.

Ive always wondered if Im doing something wrong because I pretty much HAVE to sharpen it (by hand, not on a grinder) after every single tank. I sharpen it, then fill up fuel/oil and start cutting...by the time my fuel runs out I am cutting very noticeably slower/more dust.

Ive always wondered how some guys say they touch up their chain every 2-3+ tanks...no way I could even do 2 tanks without touching mine up. Maybe Im just cutting dirtier wood than most?

19. bogydave

bogydave

Yea
    Several variables, but after little cutting experience, it’s easy to know when to
    touch up/change . I’ve hogged it thru when near the end of a load, but not fun.

20. blacktail

blacktail

Some people will keep using a chain after it's dull. Some people also don't know what a cord is.