In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Isocore score

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Oct 12, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Went in to local Tractor Supply for bar oil which was on sale 2/$14. Wanted to see if they would honor a 2/$10 sale from another store out of state. Had a pic on my phone. While waiting for the kid to ask the manager, i wandered over to check out the axes and mauls. Isocore for $32.99??? Only one they had. I know these are in the $60-70 range. I take it up and ask the kid. He walks back and it was in the wrong loop. I asked if they would honor the price and after a minute he says yes! Went in for oil and walked out with two gallons and a maul for $50! WooHoo!
    I cracked the handle on my sledge the other day and am not crazy about my log blaster maul so i killed two birds with one maul! I can be used as a sledge if needed! Tried it on out some green sugar maple tonight and like it a lot. IMG_1105.JPG

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Geez I think I gave $55-60 for mine...you got a great deal! :yes:

Chaz, Horkn, In the Pines and 9 others like this.
  3. bushpilot

bushpilot

Great deal! I really like my Isocore.

Chaz, Horkn, In the Pines and 10 others like this.
  4. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

How does it compare to the 27? I got some clunky maul at the depot and it just feels like swinging an 8lb noodle compared to the 27. Thinking of upgrading to an isocore.

Chaz, Horkn, In the Pines and 8 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I like it. Kinda hard to compare to the 27, but well engineered as expected. I was splitting sugar maple rounds in half and using the Collins and X27 to finish them off. Ive used the X27 so much by itself i became concerned as it wouldnt half (i seem to half rounds rather than take small chunks off. Old splitting habit i cant get out of.) some of the wood ive scored recently. I them realize it was the nice knot free trunks from my old honey hole. I was even halving 30" red oak in two swings. Guess i got spoiled? Oak is cake to split but the wait to burn! I have that tupelo (black gum) to split and will post a thread when i do. Ill keep you posted on the isocore.
    I have a couple clunky fiberglass handled mauls that ive cracked the heads using them as a sledge. They seemed to be "cage rattlers" on impact so i know what you are saying.

Chaz, Horkn, In the Pines and 9 others like this.
  6. bushpilot

bushpilot

I like both the Isocore and the x27, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the Isocore. But I would keep the x27 over anything else I have used. They are both really nice.

Chaz, Horkn, Midwinter and 7 others like this.
  7. 303Bourbon

303Bourbon

X2

Chaz, Horkn, In the Pines and 6 others like this.
  8. Biddleman

Biddleman

I love mine
    I hand split and its all I use with a wedge when needed.

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  9. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

You’ll love it! Great compliment to your X27. The ISO Core will get you through some rounds that the x27 wont split. Then when you get a little tired you just switch back to the x27, it feels like a feather after swinging the ISO Core.

It’s the perfect 2 splitter plan! No need for anything else!

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's some good axersize too! ;) :whistle: :rofl: :lol:

:picard:

:D

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  11. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Isocore? Where do you put the hydraulic fluid?

12. Winston

Winston

Hi buzzsaw Brad, are you still liking your isocore? I have been using an x27 for a few years and have been on the fence about buying the isocore. My main purpose for it would be to split monster rounds instead of noodling. Is it worth the money?

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Not liking it, loving it! :dancer: I also have the X27 and it was my primary splitter even for big rounds. I was given a well used monster maul and used it a bit over the Summer into the Fall. I now realize the X27 works great when big rounds are frozen or fresh cut and dont check on the ends. A lot was red oak too so got a bit spoiled with easy splitting wood.
    IME when rounds start to check it gets tougher to half them. Im one of those splitters that, regardless of diameter i have to split the log in half. Lifelong habit i guess. I use the isocore to half for the most part, then the X27 to make splits.
    Keep in mind i hand split most of my wood (i noodle gnarly/knotty stuff) and am picky about what i take. Was cutting roadside yesterday and cut out the knot free sections from some white oak and hickory. The tree guys had pieces of all different lengths.
    I think you would like it. Well balanced and no handle vibration on impact. Let me know if you get one.
    Christmas is coming :santa:...have you been nice?

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  14. Winston

Winston

Lol I have been nice but won’t be able to wait until Christmas! Glad to hear it’s still a go to. I have an old orange monster maul with the pipe for a handle, too short for me and oh my God does it sting if you have an over strike. X27 has replaced it entirely. An endorsement from you is more than enough for me. I have a hydraulic but I still have to be able to get rounds into the truck...noodling is fun but also time consuming after a while, we’ll see how much the new toy I mean tool will speed things along

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  15. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I’m putting the isocore on my naughty list.. I mean my wish list. That and a a new tub of miracle whip for getting pitch off of my work shoes. I think halving some rounds would be perfect for my morning smash and grab.

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  16. Jack of All Trades NH

Jack of All Trades NH

I just borrowed one of these from a friend. I've been using the Fiskars splitting axe for a while and I really like the dual purpose of this Maul (with the hammer end). I compared the two on my youtube page and I think I will end up buying one for next spring.... I typically get some rounds that I can't split on my log splitter because they are too big.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Wish i had the duo sooner. They make a great combination for splitting wood. Most of my unsplittables get noodled with the chain saw or i dont take them.
    Welcome to the FHC Jack of All Trades NH :handshake:. Great to have you join us.

18. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

They are currently available on Amazon for $41.80 . Looks like Christmas is coming early in the FancyPlants household.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I hope you haven't been naughty mrfancyplants :santa: Have you ever used an Isocore?

20. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Never have used one. I have a “Husky” maul, but I think a 10# brick on a stick would be more effective.