In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hide and Seek Ash

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Oct 12, 2019.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,883
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Another Asplundh special. Felled last month and barely visible from the road. Ive driven by this several times. Thought it was tulip poplar out of the corner of my eye & in a good tangle down a slight embankment, kinda swampy too. Low priority score. I finally stopped yesterday and it is ash. Nice long trunk uncut. Yeeesss!!! No yard so i didnt have to ask. Room to pull far enough off the road and cut. Cut the bigger stuff and not a full load. Had to venture further back and grab some of the smaller logs to fill the PU. Prickers, vines (some poison ivy) bittersweet etc to contend with, but if scrounged in worse. I left a couple knotty logs and the stump cut off. 2 hours work. IMG_1101.JPG
    18' trunk...22" at stump IMG_1102.JPG
    Short roll up to the curb to half and load. IMG_1103.JPG was using the 460 and the 261 was looking sad so i let it in on the action IMG_1104.JPG
    Decent half cord load.
     
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. mat60

    mat60

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2018
    Messages:
    2,676
    Likes Received:
    19,585
    Location:
    ME
    Nice buZZsaw BRAD .. Be burning 75% Ash myself this winter.
     
  3. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    You even grabbed the cookies “NICE” ash is so nice. Been eyeing a couple-by my river down below, i went down with the boys to investigate yesterday and stumbled on some old maple blocks so i decided to rescue those. Didnt take long for the boy to step in the river with the school sneakers i didnt notice he put on. Whitney gave me a good a$$ kicking for that one.
     
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Nice haul Brad. I’m keeping my eye open for a little score of ash yet. Have a little hole in the ash stack that could be filled. Would be nice to keep it all brand specific.
     
  5. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Nice little score there.
    :thumbs:
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,883
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Did the trees from you sisters fill that hole? A decent amount from what i recall?
     
  7. Yawner

    Yawner

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,128
    Likes Received:
    11,914
    Location:
    Louisiana
    You win the scrounger prize for sure, Brad. Asplundh sure is doing you favors, though, lol! Got some more questions...

    Do you roll logs with the cant so you can finish cuts or how do you use that?

    Do you halve your big rounds with your splitting axes instead of noodling? If so, that has to be unusual to see a guy doing that on the side of the road, lol.

    Do you have a regular size truck bed? I have a Nissan Titan full crew cab and my bed is short.
     
  8. RabbleRouser

    RabbleRouser

    Joined:
    May 25, 2019
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    3,127
    Location:
    In the woods, New Hampshire
    Looks like more than a little poison ivy there, including the vine that was growing up the trunk you cut. I hope your not highly allergic to it. You may want to douse your bars/chains and other metal parts with Brake Clean or something.

    Good score otherwise. Ash is great shoulder season & mild winter wood around here. Getting more & more rare with these dammed Emeral Ash Borers killing them by the thousands.
     
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,883
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Cookies are a given with Asplundh cutting. One of my major gripes, but it is what it is. I actually gave the cookies away from the oak last week:eek:!!! These filled up a bin i just built too...red & sugar maple, plus the ash. Three weeks to fill on all the wood ive scored. Id guess 5-10% of a score is nuggets. IMG_1106.JPG
     
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,883
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I bring the cant with me most of the time. In this case i thought id have to use it but the big log was resting on another log. All the greenery...weeds, vines etc made a "cushion" as well. I was able to complete a cut and roll to finish without it.

    I half the bigger ones and was quartering the oak last week. I probably could lift some of the bigger ones, but with my back issues (discs) its not worth it. (im not a Spring chicken:vulture: anymore). I never used to split at roadside til i saw a guy do it last December. He was cutting the huge stuff and noodling 3/4 and splitting. If he could do it so could i. I would always take what i could lift without cutting either.
    I imagine it is a sight to see Yawner :axe: I am very mindful of traffic as i work. Id like to get a cone or two. Flashers are always going as well.

    My F150 is a full 8" bed. I have the suicide doors, which i love to get stuff behind the seats.
     
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    mat60, Backwoods Savage and MikeInMa like this.
  11. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    No that plus another scrounge made the stack that has the hole. There’s a log down the road, small, not enough but maybe I’ll grab it this afternoon. Do it old caveman style with a ramp instead of the arm.

    Hey Asplundh gives away free cones.

    At lunch,,,,,while they’re sitting in their trucks looking the other way. LOL
    Seriously tho I got a free one of those slow/stop signs they use to direct traffic while grabbing a roadside score. They must have got a new one and tossed the older one in the woods behind the logs.
     
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,883
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Caveman style good. Me scrounge wood caveman style! Caveman have bad back from this.

    Go get that ash.:tree: Nice day for it! Flip flop if you have to!

    Ive seen them forget signs that sit roadside for a time.
     
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    mat60 and Backwoods Savage like this.