In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oslo reseal project, need suggestions....

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, May 24, 2014.

  1. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I'm in the middle of determining whether or not I have an air control problem and in the process of doing this I'm wondering if taking the stove apart and resealing the entire thing is my best bet?? As most cast stoves are, they are put together in pieces and cemented into place when the stove is put together. I was thinking of 'mapping' the pieces as it all came apart but the other side of my conscious is asking me if its what I really need to do.

    I'm really upset with this stove and right now upset with Jotul for playing me along with a remedy. So a total rebuild would clear my thoughts on a bad seal somewhere. I wonder if there's a way to totally seal the openings and place a vacuum in the firebox and look for leaks on the perimeter. This thing is down to bare bones right now, just a shell. My thought is once I take out the first bolt, it's probably no looking back.

    Anyone with anything would be helpful. Some of you have seen my other threads as I take on solving my problem.
    Thanks
     
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    A few years ago when I bought the f 100, during the move into the house, some cement fell out of the corners. I decided to do a tear down. I removed the inner firebox plates, but left the outer plates together. A good wire scrape out of the remaining cement and wire brushing of the corners and plates meeting up was all I did. I did not take all the outer plates apart. A good vacuuming and cement re-seal and I was back in business.

    The Jotul website is down as far as the Oslo schematics, so I can't see how in depth the tear down is. You may find something relatively quickly.
    I say go for it, but I like taking things apart anyways, as long I don't have parts left over. :D
     
  3. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH

    Have you ever done a seal check without the fire burning? I'm thinking of using the vac and running around the outside of the stove with a flame from a lighter to look for the draft. what do you think??
     
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    How bout sealing the outlet and intake holes. Light a few incense sticks in the stove and leave the door open until burning nicely. Shut the doors and see if smoke leaks out? Just thinking out loud.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Thats a good idea. I could roll the stove out to the covered porch and do it. Do you think the incense would be distinct enough coming out of any leaks (if any)?
     
  6. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I would think if it was in a dark room with a flashlight going, you would see it better.