In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Clearing along the stonewalls...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Stinny, May 21, 2014.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Used the DR this morning to clear what it could, 200' along the road/stonewall and the wall out back, of 1/4" wood stalks, etc. Cutting the 1" - 3" alders out too with the 338 and hauled to my junk wood pile. Permethrin on my pants, shirt, hat and gloves... took a shower with Deep Woods cologne too...
    Hit the deck runnin' ... well... kinda... walkin fast... :whistle: Here's proof...

    Before n afta

    100_0001.JPG
    100_0005.JPG

    Before n afta...

    100_0003.JPG
    100_0004.JPG

    200' of the back stonewall that was buried 10' back in alders and brush. The path. The junk pile. The green.

    100_0011.JPG
    100_0008.JPG
    100_0012.JPG

    Deer ate good this winter. 6' up on the cedars. Found coyote scat in front of those cedars this morning... :hair:

    100_0006.JPG

    It's a start, on the road clearing. Got to sacrifice a few chains to cut the many small stumps down, then... try to level it enough to mow with the JD. Not looking forward to that "standing on your head" work, down by my ankles... :saw:
     
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Loon, Gasifier, Pallet Pete and 2 others like this.
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Here's what the road looked like when we first bought the place in the fall of 2012. Had a huge bit of help from the town last fall when they cleared the big stuff out. They just showed up, and in 2 hours, 300' of the entire lot front was cleared... :yes: I'm trying to take advantage of that start. I'm getting there.

    100_0006.JPG
    100_0008.JPG

    Glad most of this mess is gone... :yes:
     
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Looking good. Time for a goat to keep up on it. Any poison ivy in the mix?
     
    Stinny likes this.
  4. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Poison ivy... :hair: ... yeah, there is, about every 5 feet. Even had a neighbor happen by while I was thrashin'... stop and showed me some I'd missed. Fingers crossed. I'm not itchin' yet.

    Already got an ole goat keepin the wall clean... :whistle:
     
  5. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks like a lot of work but the results sure do look good.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    There are quite a few homes in our area that have cleared and maintained their stonewalls. Old farm country. I love that look. It's gonna be a long deal I think. Like everyone here, grass is growing so fast I can hardly keep up. I think I'll try using the weed whacker to help clear around each cluster of small adler stumps, and saw them off a little at a time. Trying not to roll in the ivy too much while I'm cutting too.
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Stinnster, how often do you do the clearing by the walls? once a season?
     
    Stinny likes this.
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    This is the first time clearing all the walls. They looked like the amazon when we moved here last year. I've got about 900' total of walls, so I won't get bored.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  9. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,632
    Location:
    IN
    I'd be breaking out some Crossbow and spraying it to kill all the woody brush and PI.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I'll have to do something like that after I get it cleared back. I don't think anyone's cleared around the walls in 20 years. If then.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  11. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,632
    Location:
    IN
    Do it before. It's foliage feed. Kill the brush, then cut it out.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  12. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    OK... what do I need to get and where?
     
  13. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,632
    Location:
    IN
    Any local farm store should have it. Crossbow herbicide. Will kill anything woody but leaves grassy stuff alone.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  14. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Thanks Luke. Got a couple farm stores close by. Be nice to zap all the woody vines growing on everything here too.
     
  15. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,632
    Location:
    IN
    Yeah...if you don't put something on them they'll just grow back even stronger than before you started. Good luck.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Will the Crossbow kill the 6" alder stumps too, or just smaller woody stuff with leaves?
     
  17. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,632
    Location:
    IN
    It won't kill any stumps since it is foliage feed (spray on the leaves). If you want to kill stumps you need Tordon RTU.
     
    My IS heats my home and Stinny like this.
  18. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Ah the cutting of small trees and brush. Ain't it FUN? LOL

    Nice work Stinny. Looks much better.

    I still have a bunch to do in that area I am cleaning up. But I put that whole project on hold. Too many other things to do. Especially have to split all that wood and keep mowing grass! :eek:
     
    Stinny likes this.
  19. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I thought of you this morning right after I got done cutting wood... I relaxed and mowed for a while... Mr Grassifier.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  20. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    LOL With all this rain and sun that is what all of us will be doing the next five months! Come October well be hoping for :zip:
     
    Stinny likes this.