In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Zyliss vise - Anyone else have one?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by thistle, May 6, 2015.

1. thistle

thistle

I remember these were popular back in the 70's & 80's.Production of the original Swiss one stopped sometime in the late 90's,several knockoffs over the years with varying names in several countries (Vunder Vise,Tool Shops,Grip Master,JML Visemaster,Bench Pro 2000, among others) have been available since then.Far as I can tell,the Z-Vise is the current replacement & closest to the original design & construction.

Wanted one as a young broke apprentice in the early 80's,but couldn't justify the cost -around $200,that was big money to me back then.After a while I forgot about them.But they are still popular & have quite a niche following.

Original ones are on ebay quite often in varying setups -,either the basic vise to the expanded set with all the accessories.Decent prices too for the most part.

Grabbed this complete set in excellent condition yesterday - $108 & change with free shipping.Like anything else with lots of parts that's used - normally over time parts get lost or broken,but this is almost perfect.Should arrive early next week sometime.

Sure it wont replace my big very heavy cabinetmaker's bench with shoulder & leg vises or a bunch of bar/pipe clamps - but for some things its perfect & can be used on some projects that no other vise or clamps will work on.Plus its portable & can be set up most anywhere if needed.Should be lots of fun figuring out all the ways it can be used.:smoke:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zyliss-Swiss-Made-Vice-4-in-1-Vise-Plane-Bench-Clamp-Gluing-Press-in-Box-/191568803325?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=iQZdAfW6yx8SdG120Sh19wk5v%2Fo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    don2222, milleo and crzybowhntr like this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

That's a good price that puppy is brand new, It's got all the parts
    I used to see them at the woodworking shows and they were cool but more money than I wanted to pay for one, I bought mine from ebay also it is a grip master, paid a hundred even for it
    I'm mostly just use it in the basement, I have a heavy work bench and a big record vise out in woodshop.
    What I like about it is you can look it up almost anywhere probably could hook it up on a truck tailgate
    untitled.png

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    milleo and thistle like this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

4. papadave

papadave

Pretty slick.

My IS heats my home likes this.
  5. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

I just got one on a estate auction this past week. I only paid $12 for the box it was in. Probably tomorrow I am going to see if what I got is complete. It appears so. I think the thing is the younger guys don't remember them when us old guys were introduced to then in the 70"s. They want a little money for them so I thought i would take a flyer on this one for $12. The estate was a guy who was a part-time cabinetmaker.
    They look neat.

HDRock, thistle and papadave like this.
  6. thistle

thistle

Damm thing finally arrived today!!! On early Sat 5/09 it arrived at my Bulk Mail Center here,was here barely 3 hours then went BACK to Florida!!! Stupid Post Office!!! :hair::loco: :crazy::rolleyes::mad::headbang:

It sat there over a week before returning here.After several attempts & conversations on Wed 5/20 with local branch office in person (they printed me out a tracking sheet which had much more detailed info than the worthless crap that Ebay provides) & I called them again yesterday.They confirmed it was here & would be out for delivery this morning.

It looks great,all the parts/pieces + original instruction booklets/manual are included.Seller really did a great job packaging it (covered the original carton with several layers of heavy brown paper + waterproof packaging tape. :yes:

HDRock likes this.
  7. Gord

Gord

Anyone still looking for a Zyliss Vice?

I inherited one of the red handle ones in like new condition.

Has the original pamphlet and instruction booklet included.

Looking for a good home for it and asking $85 for it. (In southwest Florida area).

Attached Files:

8. HDRock

HDRock

Welcome to da club Gord
    Decent price , It's in good shape too.
    I don't need 2 of em though :)
    I'm curious how did you find this site ?

9. Gord

Gord

Thanks for the response.

Found your site by googling "Wanted Zyliss Vice". Thought it more useful to sell the vice to a knowledgeable owner versus letting it sit in a box to be thrown out by my heirs.

Good info on this site.

I'm a retired (farm boy originally) Canuck from Ontario Canada, very familiar with wood heat as the original farmhouse had an old wood furnace back in the 50s and 60s. Old stone farmhouse, took multiple cords per winter ...................

thistle and HDRock like this.
  10. walt

walt

Welcome Gord
    I have had a zyliss for many years,the plastic jaws are nice to hold the bar for chain sharpening.

thistle and HDRock like this.
  11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Gord, I sure could use a vise for my new basement workbench. I'm too anal to drill holes through my maple bench top. Are ya firm on $85?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    HDRock likes this.
  12. HDRock

HDRock

It's a versatile tool, I take mine outside and clamp it on the picnic table to sharpen chains.

Minnesota Marty and thistle like this.
  13. Gord

Gord

Wood wolverine - I can part with it for $80. I never did use it for a project, just set it up once to see how it works. Very easy set up and slick working item. Where are you located?

14. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

You still have it?