In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Working the Mini Honey Hole.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jun 16, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Havent cut in a few days and been jonesing to do so. First follow up to my BuZZsaw's mini honey hole! thread.
    Rain this morning stopped so i grabbed the 290 and made my way over. I was talking to a neighbor walking the power line trail that borders on the property and found out the wood was felled by the power company widening for new poles/lines. Hence the circular saw marks on the log ends made by a feller and the steel cable in the pile from a winch.
    IMG_0510.JPG The pile when i got there. I split all the rounds first then it started to rain which didnt stop me. Bucked a few logs then it came down too heavy and i left. Delivered a few of the hickory rounds to my friends, then got gas for the PU. Rain stopped so i went back again. Had to move rounds as i was cutting and opted to split as i went along. IMG_0524.JPG
    When i left. Maybe full cord total so far and two face cord split. Wish i had the 460 with me as the i bucked one larger oak log. 290 seems old and tired. Ill leave the splits there as long as i can as it gets full sun in the afternoon and borders an open area so good breeze too. Wood will get moved to my friends across the street and its in full shade. Red oak, red maple, beech and birch so far. Looks like mostly red oak remaining. IMG_0511.JPG
    Nemesis from my more HEAVY metal! post. Turns out it was loose and not attached to any logs. IMG_0520.JPG
    took a break and discovered this guy under a different pile of wood on the property. 4' black snake. Didnt harm him and let it go after the photo shoot.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    NYCountry, M2theB, jo191145 and 20 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

thought i had a score of sugar maple three minutes from home but when i asked they were keeping the wood. Left there yesterday, somewhat disappointed so i went to the mini HH and worked for an hour and a half in the full sun.
    First pic when i got there, last three when i left.
    IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0555.JPG

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Havent been to the mini HH in a bit. GF went to her daughters and despite the heat, i went cutting. Went through a tank of gas in the 460 and half in the 290. Did some splitting, but not a lot. Noodled a few gnarly logs too and 28" bar zipped thru them. There was some clouds but i was in full sun most of the time. Took quite a few breaks. IMG_0669.JPG
    When i got there. IMG_0672.JPG
    When i left. Lots of rounds to move to keep cutting. Why i like to split as i go. IMG_0673.JPG
    When i left. Bucked a couple good sized oaks (most of the cutting was red oak today) with 28" bar on 460. Ill probably just split the next time. Didnt seem like i got much done this trip but i forgot its HOT! A little cutting better than none! IMG_0668.JPG
    Found this snake skin when i got there. Wonder if its from the 4' black snake i found there last time?

NYCountry, M2theB, jo191145 and 16 others like this.
  4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I was unaware of this awesome thread buZZsaw BRAD, but real nice work you been doing here! So this is a "Mini Honey hole"for you huh? :picard:Sometimes I'm embarrassed by what I post.

5. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

That is great looking firewood there Brad! Nice to be able to take your time and cut and split in a systematic way. Around here you have to cut and load as fast as you can when working scrounges. I am amazed that you don't haul your wood away as you process it. In my neck of the woods you don't dare leave a split or even a round because it won't be there when you get back! Many people have an axe but not so many have chain saws so a round disappears in a hurry. Many positive things in your post; You got some nice wood, you gave some to friends, you didn't ruin any chains, and you let the snake go. I like them all!

6. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

Buzzsaw, you make me proud to be an american. This morning I got a picture message from a friend of a bunch of wood down the block from her. I don't need wood but of course I went. Unfortunately a guy just left with the primo stuff but i did get 5 round or so. Feels good to be a stovesman.

NYCountry, NVhunter, jo191145 and 9 others like this.
  7. Reloader

Reloader

Looks like a good workout. I can relate to the taking breaks part. Just nice to have a place you can work at your leisure and not be under the gun to get it all at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thank you very much sir!
    I am absolutely amazed at how much wood has come my way since i joined FHC in mid February Urban Woods. I did something to please the firewood gods! Maybe that virgin fir tree i sacrificed to them or something.
    My "big" honey hole is from the thread This Score Could be Epic! Ive pulled ten PU fulls out of there since late April.

Dont be embarrassed at all. Everyone's situation is different. You do what works best for you and should be very proud of your hard work, which i know you are. I enjoy seeing everyone's scores regardless if its just one log. We all share a common passion (notice i didnt say sickness) for firewood which is what the forum is all about!

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The wood is almost 1/4 mile off the road and borders on power line property so its not really seen by many metalcuttr .
    In most cases i load logs and/or rounds with a score when i get it. Seems ive had the luxury of "process when i feel like it" at the source. My other honey hole i have to buck to length, load then haul home.
    Roadside wood usually disappears within a few days in most cases around here.
    The splits will get stacked at my friends across the street from here. I already have six cord stored there. He is friends with the owner of the property/wood who took a real bad fall two years ago and has to sell. Im leaving what i split to dry as there is good sun and wind there even though the logs are two years old. The maple, beech and birch will be dry for this season. Oak maybe the following. Once all processed i will set up pallets and stack all at once.
    I dont really like doing all the cutting at once, then all the splitting, then all the stacking. A little bit of each every time i go is better in my book. Room is a bit limited there. Maybe three more trips and itll be ready to move.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I too missed the initial posting. Excellent wood score and pics. Keep em coming!

11. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Yeah, I'm starting to do this myself as well. I'm now simultaneously cutting a little, then splitting, then cutting some more. Before I would have cutting days and then splitting days and when the split pile grows too big its time for transporting and stacking day. I still single out stacking day, but definitely enjoying the change-up with bucking and splitting. Keeps it less monotonous even though the argument could be made for more efficiency when performing only one job per session.
    Alternating jobs also seems to help me with fatigue since it doesn't over tax a specific muscle group.
    This topic kind of reminds me of my younger years working out when we purposely concentrated on different muscle groups for different days. I always hated leg day

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thank you Stoveaclaus . Im just a humble guy that likes cutting wood.:usa:
    Sorry i took the wood. If i known it was your score i wouldnt have touched it. I got charged extra on the LI ferry for the weight!

13. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Good to hear that a score can only be one log because that’s what I got from the dump yesterday. One medium size round of Bradford Pear.

14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I agree with you entirely there. On the bad side, I usually find myself in a marathon of cutting, loading and dumping rounds til I have a huge pile of them to process. On the good side, I have been lately able to split my rounds more or less as I stack them. As you stated, it is much more agreeable that way and saves a certain amount of double handling!

15. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Nice, One of my first scrounges was Bradford pear. The resources say a two year wait to season, but I am looking forward to see if it has a blue flame.
    Locust is my usual one or two log score.

jo191145, JoeinO, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  16. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I believe that about the 2 yr wait to season. It does seem slow to dry out.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I had a huge roadside score back around Christmas. Got around seven PU fulls of rounds i cut roadside. My PA was almost overflowing with them. When the score was finally over i was at a loss where to start splitting :picard:
    It was a case of snooze and lose the nice wood at the score. Mostly ash with some red oak.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

the only time i ever scored BP mrfancyplants and Ctwoodtick was early April found roadside. Drove by it a few times til i finally took it. Didnt know what it was and posted thread to find out. IMG_4301.JPG

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

You are doing an awesome job, good sir. Glad you are able to keep on going. That's a lot to hand split.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Well said buZZsaw BRAD . It nice to see everyone's scores, big or small...we are all FAMILY