In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Woodstock Fireview

Discussion in 'Wood Stoves' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Woodstock has in the past made only soapstone stoves but with the last one has also got into the steel stoves. However, our Fireview is a soapstone and we love it. Here is a short video we took to show a typical burn:

The picture below is one I took when my wife was making applesauce. In the picture you can see the stove is right by a sliding glass door and can even see the wood rack on the porch. One can also see a box of Super Cedars near the stove (but far enough away for safety). One can even see 2 crickets on the hearth for good luck.

The stove is on a 16" raised hearth which makes loading the stove easier. The flue goes staight through the wall and has a 1/2" raise per foot of horizontal. Then the chimney goes up the outside of the house. No chase and no problem.
    Making applesauce-2.JPG

The biggest benefit we received from this stove is that we cut our wood needs just about exactly in half. We always used to figure on 6 cord per year but now is only 3. During the winter of 2013-2014 we did burn more than 3 cord but I can not tell for sure how much over 3 we went; probably about 1/3 of a cord over or perhaps 1/2 cord.

With our old stove we were always cold in the winter months and had to close off part of the house. We also had to use an electric heater in the bathroom before we showered. No more of that! We now keep our house temperature around the 80 degree mark all winter and do not close off any of the house. We've also made an addition to the house so are heating more space.

2. Maina

Maina

Backwoods Savage ,
    Thank you so much for your review of the Fireview, and all the posts you’ve made here and formerly at another forum. The wife and I burned wood for about 30 years then took a detour into pellets and now we’re going back for several reasons and the Fireview is indeed the stove for us. Your posts really helped me decide on which stove to show my wife to close the sale. We took a trip to Lebanon and talked to Penny on a Saturday and she showed us around the quiet factory and after looking the stoves and my information over she agreed the Fireview would suit us best. My wife likes the blue best, and we will be ordering it as soon as the late spring sale arrives.
    Since we’re only 3 hours away in Maine I’ll be picking it up.
    We have 2+ cords of 2 year old beech and another cord or so of dry odds and ends since we have an outside firepit, and I’ll be buying 3 more cord to stack and dry for the second season. We also have a couple cord from a huge oak we took down around thanksgiving that will burn great in 3 years mixed with the beech I have already around my property.
    A few power outages and some boiler trouble woke us up to how much we missed wood, and many of your wise words have helped get us going in the right direction again. You alleviated any fears I might have had about cat stoves and reinforced my belief in the quality of a soapstone stove. That and the stellar people at Woodstock Soapstone makes for a winning combination in my book! Thanks again!
    Terry

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Great review Dennis, welcome Maina, I concur, I dislocated a knee on ice in 2014, and it was cold in February and started researching better stoves and burning methods. Your belief in Woodstock helped me select an Ideal Steel. I also burn less than half what I used to with more heat. Thanks to 3 year plan, efficient stove and FHC.

4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Welcome to FHC Maina .... And yes that Fireview does heat nicely, and does so while being aesthetically pleasing to the eye...

And nice write up Backwoods Savage ....

5. Maina

Maina

Thank you very much for the warm welcome Canadian border VT and Chvymn99 ! I do appreciate it. This seems like a very nice place to hang out with some good people.
    Looks like I just sold my pellet stove over the phone so I may be moving the schedule up a bit if at all possible. If not we’ll be calling the oil man again this winter I’m afraid, but it will be the last time. We have one air source heat pump upstairs, and along with the wood stove we’re installing another heat pump downstairs, ripping out the oil burner and replacing it with a heat pump water heater. That and a few new windows and we should be good for the duration of retirement. We’ve been planning this for years and it’s great to see it coming together.
    If I run into any bumps along the road I know where to get some good advice.

6. Backwoods Savage

Thank you Terry. And good to know you went to the factory. Penny is a good girl as is all the people at Woodstock. Wish we lived closer to the plant as I just enjoy going to visit and also to see what's new. When we go we talk to everyone there and they are all great. Tom also has a very busy mind and always has something new up his sleeve.

Sounds too like we may have chatted at some time on the other forum. Glad you came over here to the friendly place! And welcome to the forum.

You may or many not have found this but here is some excellent reading for you: Primer on Woodburning by Backwoods Savage You can either read it online or even download it in pdf form.

Please let us know when you get the new stove. I'll also then let you know how we handled our stove when it was new.

7. Backwoods Savage

Thanks Canadian border VT and Chvymn99. btw, Chvymn99, I believe you were sleeping in our house last April during our GTG. I still laugh when thinking about My IS heats my home and how we roasted him out that night. The Fireview did not have that much wood in it that one night but he about roasted and even got up and opened the sliding glass door...twice! He could not believe how warm it got in our house.

Another funny part of that is once during the night my wife got up. When she came back to bed she commented on how hot it was in the house (we had the bedroom door shut). I asked if she opened a window and she said no. Poor guys in the living rooms really roasted though.

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Welcome to the club, Maina !
    Glad you found us!

I think your gonna like the Fireview. They are a heating machine! And good lookin too!

9. Maina

Maina

Thank you TurboDiesel! I know we’re just gonna love it. We made the trip in mid January and looked them over really well and Penny was a great help. I’ve enjoyed a lot of your posts as well as many others here who own them. I’ll definitely be posting some pictures of it.