In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodchuck wood furnace.

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Lennyzx11, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I’m on the way to look at a woodchuck wood furnace to replace my old wood stove in the shop.

Wondering if it will radiate heat off the front like the old stove to back up to on a cold morning?

I like the idea of the blower and duct run across the ceiling to spread the warm air and get some in the 2nd floor through a couple of registers in the floor but kinda happy with the old way as it was.

Sadly. The bottom is falling out of my old one and this winter will have the fire laying on the concrete floor under it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Mountain Man and Horkn like this.
  2. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Good luck , hope it works out for you.

A friend of mine gave me a furnace around two years ago to put in my shop and replace my old wood stove ( he went to pellets instead of wood ; whatever floats your boat I guess ).
    What a difference. It does take an hour or so to really start making heat but when it does " look out" ! In a couple hours I could be working out there in my under-roos.

I don't think you will regret it one bit.

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

I'm sure a wood furnace will heat even better than a wood stove.

I wonder what putting a few pieces of double bubble gum will do to it?:whistle:

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  4. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Well, I did get it. I’ll start getting it in the shop and setup in the next couple of months and report back how it does in this Vermont winter.

It’ll be fun to mess with. The old woodstove always was working a little hard on cold cold mornings and never could make it a whole night even with good seasoned wood, damper, and all the tips I read about on here.

This (Woodchuck 526) is rated at 120000 BTUs and it’s going in a 24x24 insulated wood framed building with a 2nd floor that works out to about 1000 square feet with both floors. Little too much stove by the numbers but winters are cold here and the windows are still the original from the 1940s so maybe I’ll get all night burns once I get my system down.
    Bonus was reading that it can be used without electricity for the blower like a woodstove. That was one of the cons for me originally so glad to learn that.

Horkn likes this.
  5. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

As I start placing this I wanted to ask the group’s opinion.
    Do you think I could safely shrink the recommended clearances?

The specs say 18” to the side and 30” to the back from combustible surfaces. But nothing is said for metal surfaces.

But I have metal with 2” spacers lining the wall from my old installation. The first 36” is a concrete block stem wall with 2x4 stick construction above.

I’d like to shrink the clearance down to 12” side and 21” back.

What’s your thoughts? It doesn’t seem to be capable of getting that hot as there is a sheet metal skin around the stove chamber itself that is spaced 1 1/2” from the cast iron burning chamber. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]