In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood stove to hot water base board

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Unclefish, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Unclefish

Unclefish

Need some opionions here\ help.
    Current setup house built in 1959 walk out cellar on 1 side. Chimney for wood on this side 3 flues.
    Open fireplace in living room 1 .flue # 2 and 3 are in cellar 2 is open fireplace and 3 is 6" hole for woodstovepipe above and to the right. My oil furnace for hot water baseboard is at the other end of house guessing 40 ft away. Not allowed outside wood furnace here in this town. Can't insulate cellar due to living in flood zone. So I have indoor wood furnace burns up to 32" log normally once I get a good coal bed I can leave for work 530 to 6 am and come home between 4 to 5 pm and I still load up and it goes. Average burn around 6 cords whether cold or warmer winter's. Stove is in cellar.
    My idea was to figure out some type of stove to heat water into bulk tank then from there to a plate exchanger to hook baseboard into it. Everything in this house is room with a door hallways even have doors. Kitchen has doors. Kitchen is always cold living room is always hot wood stove underneath. And our master bedroom gets chilly to. Still on teen nights my oil furnace comes on drives me crazy.

Camber, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You have a forced air furnace, or a wood fired "boiler"? It doesn't work good?
    If you are saying you want to install a wood fired "boiler" that charges a large insulated water tank that then feeds the baseboards...that is a system that works well...can get spendy to install though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Camber and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

4. chris

chris

its possible to run a loop through the plenum of your current wood furnace to charge an insulated tank and then feed your existing system though a heat exchanger from that. Your Oil fired system is likely a closed loop system. the wood section would likely need to be and open system.

Camber and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

From what I have read, that would make enough heat for domestic hot water...not nearly enough BTU's to feed a baseboard though...

6. Unclefish

Unclefish

So isn't a plate exchanger to keep the open system wood stove and the closed system hot water base board separate. One of these

untitled-4.jpg

Camber likes this.
  7. chris

chris

yep

JW IN VA and Camber like this.
  8. lukem

lukem

Let's work this backwards, easiest first.

1.) Use existing circulation pump to pump water through plate exchanger from storage tank into cold side of boiler.
    2.) Install storage tank to hold water heater from wood burner.
    3.) Install circulation pump to pump water between tank and wood burner.
    4.) Some sort of air to water heat exchanger to pull heat from wood burner to water.

Camber likes this.
  9. Hoytman

Hoytman

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    brenndatomu, Camber and Unclefish like this.
  10. Unclefish

Unclefish

Very interesting.. thanks for posting that.

brenndatomu and Camber like this.
  11. Hoytman

Hoytman

Being from the north East you should have no shortage of Amish stoves/experience near you. Not sure if the links provide you with what you need, but hopefully you can get some ideas. DSM has some heat exchangers to look at.

If you’re near New York try Miller’s ???(hardware maybe)...name of the place fails me at the moment. It’s a stove shop and hardware of sorts.