In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Splitter modifications

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by metalcuttr, Jun 12, 2018.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

20180605_105245.jpg Hi folks, new here. Bought a Dirty Hand Tools wood splitter a year and a half ago. I have put about 14 cords through her. Mostly old growth fir but also a lot of cherry, locust and madrona. Very happy with the machine so far. Have made a few mods to address my personal needs. I added an extra long log shelf. This allows you to push a half forward and work on the half nearest to you. You don't have to drop the first half and pick it up again. The shelf also protects the motor and air filter from a dropped log or debris. Fenders to make it street legal. I got a magnetic turn and brake light set also. Added a wheeled tongue jack because I store the machine on concrete and it saves my back when maneuvering it around. I also added a guard over the hydraulic pump. hoses and misc. fittings. I once fumbled a log when loading the cradle and it could have been a bad deal. The guard does not interfere with vertical operation. I have toyed with the idea of a skid guard under the hydraulics but will probably do that later as I don't commonly work on rough ground. Anybody else made any mods on their machines? metalcuttr 20180605_105038.jpg 20180605_105108.jpg 20180605_105149.jpg

Maykoppa, Screwloose, Unhdsm and 20 others like this.
  2. MikeyB

MikeyB

Nice work Metalcuttr and welcome to the club. I know a few Cats on this forum have a DHT splitter and like them a lot.
    Please post some pics of your wood stacks when you get the chance, the folks on this forum love the pics.

Eric VW, Camber, FatBoy85 and 7 others like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz

Welcome aboard metalcuttr
    This is a great site with great people, I'm sure you'll find many of like mind here.

Nice work on the splitter, and good find as well.

Now about those stacks. :D

metalcuttr, Eric VW, Camber and 7 others like this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Welcome to FHC! :handshake: Nice modification to the splitter... :yes:

metalcuttr, Eric VW, Camber and 6 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Welcome metalcuttr dont worry you did a great job for your first thread!:yes:

metalcuttr, Eric VW, Camber and 6 others like this.
  6. campinspecter

campinspecter

[QUOTE=" Anybody else made any mods on their machines? metalcuttr/QUOTE]

I added a winch. This is the machine's second winch.
    Mar 4 2018 (1).JPG
    You can yard logs with it.
    Mar 4 2018 (6).JPG
    Mar 4 2018 (8).JPG

And lift the bigger rounds onto the table.
    Mar 4 2018 (9).JPG
    The machine is 34 years old and is on its third Honda.
    Mar 4 2018 (2).JPG
    Welcome to the site.

7. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Hi All, thanks for the welcome and positive comments. I have posted some wood stack pictures in the "Woodpile". campinspecter that splitter is a BEAST. With the winch it looks like you have a miniature spar pole to draw your wood in! metalcuttr

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Eric VW, Camber, FatBoy85 and 5 others like this.
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

This is our 25 ton Yard Machine brand. Made by MTD. It's about 20 yrs old, still has original 6hp B&S motor. When the tires dry rotted and the tongue got bent from a jack knife in the dark, we decided to build a frame to mount it on move it around with the tractor. Don't have to worry about bit rolling off on its own...

Attached Files:

9. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I bought another table for my DHT, but haven't had a chance to mount it yet.
    I bought the county line one because it covers more area, and I want it to protect the filter

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

11. B.Brown

B.Brown

Great job!! Could you post a picture of the under side of the tray and how you braced that up? thanks

Eric VW, brenndatomu and metalcuttr like this.
  12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Hi B.Brown , Please see the two pictures of the splitter in the vertical (wrong) position. Much of the strength is due to the screen metal being 3/16" and well overlapped onto the flange of the I beam. The brace strut is 1" x 1" x 1/8" and utilizes one of the holes that anchors the screen to the flange. This strut is at somewhat of a mechanical disadvantage on account of the angle being quite steep but I didn't want to drill another hole in the I beam. The brace is well clear of hoses in either position. It is still strong enough for me to stand on and I am a man of vast horizons! I imagine if I jumped vigorously on it, it would deform somewhat but then it could only bend until the corner hit the reservoir, still protecting the hydraulic fittings. I thought of making a small foot to rest on the hydraulics reservoir but I didn't want it vibrating there or any interference when you went vertical. Thanks for your interest.

Attached Files:

13. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

B.Brown Sorry, didn't realize you wanted the log table underside. All material is 3/16". Made angle clips to anchor at various points and utilized the 2 original factory holes in the wedge slide. I put a slight dish in mine because that's the way the small factory one was. Could just as well be flat with a small lip along the outside edge. struts are 3/16" flat bar. I also left my table solid because otherwise bark and crud would fall on the hot muffler and air intake canister.

Attached Files:

14. B.Brown

B.Brown

Great picture, THANKS, that gives me some thing to shoot for.

Eric VW likes this.
  15. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I can't believe I missed this thread. Quite a few were following my other thread, but I'll just throw this in here quick in case anybody missed it.

I took a 15 ton Speeco splitter and split it. The engine/pump assembly is mounted to the job box on the front of the trailer. I tossed the original axle/reservoir and put an 10 gallon reservoir beside it. The business end of the splitter is mounted half way down the trailer so I can throw splits to the front or back. I also don't have to have the engine running in my face all day. The hydraulic lines have quick connects on them, and I store them in the job box under the engine when I'm done. Works like a champ.

[​IMG]

16. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

I did the extension for the log cradle as well. Seriously contemplated doing the engine gaurd as well. But ultimately ended up doing the entire upgrade, switched to a splitter my buddy makes, and it walks circles around the dht IMG_20161224_133754553.jpg IMG_20161224_133640473.jpg IMG_20180709_211041140.jpg

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Welcome to the club sir.:handshake:

Eric VW and amateur cutter like this.
  18. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

looks like a real professional grade operation!

Eric VW likes this.