In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood & Sons Discussion

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by ttdberg, Dec 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

I know at least a few of us here on FHC have Wood & Sons pellets this season, and some burned a bit last season as well. Just wanted to collect thoughts in a central place so folks can share their experience burning them. I've been through about 5 bags this season, and so far they are terrific. Probably the closest thing to Vermonts I've burned, and at a slightly lower price point. Excellent heat, very little ash, and what little ash there is blows right out of the pot, so it stays clear a good long time, making these good for extended frigid spells. Have to say - between the Vermonts, Wood & Sons, and Matras - we have a pretty fantastic selection of pine pellets around here these days!

IHATEPROPANE and slvrblkk like this.
  2. unbidden

unbidden

I'm about 15 - 20 bags in on the W+S. I'm finding them better than last years Vermonts which in my opinion was a so so crop of pellets from Vermont. I would not hesitate to buy the W+S again.

ttdberg, IHATEPROPANE and slvrblkk like this.
  3. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Similar results here I have burned half a ton and they are an excellent pellet, only thing is they are a very short pellet like many other companies have adopted and they will funnel. All in all excellent pine pellet !

IHATEPROPANE and slvrblkk like this.
  4. unbidden

unbidden

Yes, couldn't agree more. These pellets are as small as kitten kibble. I don't find this a problem as there is next to no dust in the bags and I don't worry about fines; I just clean when need be.

slvrblkk, Pete Zahria and ttdberg like this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor

I'm not a fan of the small pellets no matter what brand they are. To me they seem to burn faster. That is the reason I like the Vandy Plats so much. Longer pellet.

Luneyburg, slvrblkk and Pete Zahria like this.
  6. unbidden

unbidden

The above was a concern for me, however I've turned my feed rate down and seem to be producing the same heat. Thus at the very least I'm burning the same amount and possibly less product than previous seasons.

I guess we need a pellet scientist to put this theory to the test.

ttdberg likes this.
  7. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Same experience here. At the risk of being drawn and quartered, I was going to say the same thing; if short pellets seem like they burn too quickly, just turn down your feed rate - problem solved. If done in a reasonable way, like 4 to 3 (as opposed to 4 to 1, for example) I bet you will get the same desired heat output. These Wood & Sons, like most pine pellets I have burned, put out some serious heat, so the stove really doesn't need to be burning through them quickly. FWIW - Regarding Wood & Sons specicially, I think in future batches we will see the avg pellet length increase a bit.

slvrblkk likes this.
  8. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Agreed and yes adjusting the feed rate does have an effect but still seem to burn faster. My way of dealing with it is to mix them with Vandy Plats 50/50 and it cures the funneling issue (have waxed my hopper over and over) which seems more prevalent with woods & sons and also makes for a perfect burn rate without adjusting the feed rate. I get horrible funneling with the woods in comparison to Vermonts which because I have waxed my hopper do not funnel much at all.

Great pellet though burn as hot as any other pine pellet if not hotter , if they were longer and not quite as tacky I would consider them the perfect pellet.

subsailor and slvrblkk like this.
  9. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Funny the Wood & Sons are not funneling in my stove. Last years batch did (the ones that came in the plain white bags) but so far the product I got at Robbins this year do not feel tacky to the touch and are not funneling, at least not enough for me to notice it.

Pete Zahria and slvrblkk like this.
  10. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

That is funny but not surprising as we have said many times you never know with a run of pellets , I also purchased mine at Robbins . Maybe I need to find a better car wax :)
    or perhaps do a light sanding (more like polishing) with some super high grit paper or medium then apply a good coating . I did give it a good cleaning but maybe its time to take it a little further...

They are in the hopper now (mix with Vandy's)cranking out some serious heat with our first sub zero weather last night this season that I can remember, super super hot burning pellet that rivals pretty much any pellet that I have burned. I remember the white bags when they first got started with the green and some black pellets they have come a long way in a short period of time.

11. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

There ya go.......
    I did mine with some #220.. then just a little #320
    Mothers car wax..
    Slick as wet ice..

Dan

12. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

DONE
    I'm on it !

eatonpcat and Pete Zahria like this.
  13. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

I think ANY good paste wax will do.. I wasn't trying to say that was
    "THE" one to use.. I just happen to have that on the shelf...
    but paste would be better I think..

Dan

Luneyburg likes this.