In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood gathering machine back in the line up after 5 yrs. 1966 PUG

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Casper, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Casper

Casper

The PUG had been under 10+ feet of water twice in Hancock Co. MS. during Hurricane Katrina and then Rita in 2005. It was gifted to me by the Patriarch (Mr.Vincent) of the family who owned it at the time. He was tired of changing oils and fluids in all their rental equipment. This was on the back burner for him.

I left the MS gulf coast in May of 2006 after 8 months of volunteer work and as I was loading my trailer he came out and said "looks like that thing will fit" while pointing at the PUG. I was ecstatic! We named it the "MV" in reference to the owner.

Once home I found the rear end was locked up solid. The pumpkin had barnacles growing inside. Mr. V had changed engine oil after both storms but front and rear differentials had remnants of the Gulf of Mexico inside. It took a few months to get parts from Wisconsin, but it was running by fall.

DSC01148-134787-thumb.jpeg

I used it a lot for wood gathering, hauling dirt for the backstop on my range and the occasional deer retrieval. That came to an end a few years later with a loud knock, then nothing. Salt water had pitted the crank and bearings, not to mention corroding the aluminum parts of the engine.

It sat broken for years, as I was getting wood from a tree service and my backstop was completed. It wasn't a pressing need. Still, it bugged me to see it not in service. Finally, I found a nearly exact engine and had a guy swap it out along with repairing brake lines and power steering lines and a few other odds and ends. It was finished today.

20191219_170142.jpg

While wood gathering will resume as my tree guy has stopped supplying now that he has room to process and sell firewood. It sounds like sap gathering is going to be added to its duties as well. My boys will likely be tapping trees in our local village this coming season. The owner of the maple farm is supplying the tank, transfer tank (dont have to raise the buckets over your head) and all the taps and buckets plus buying the collected sap from them.

It's good to see it back in use and even better to be able to actually use it myself. I think it will be getting a fresh coat of paint this summer and the lettering "MV" in honor of the previous owner who has since passed away. He was a great man.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. tamarack

tamarack

I love it! The "PUG" was a great machine. I haven't seen one in person in many years.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just seen one of those for sale here recently...seems to me it was nice...and a lil spendy too.
    Looks like a handy machine! :yes:

4. cnice_37

cnice_37

Love the story and revival! Does it dump?

5. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

Outstanding!! Thanks for saving it. Just out of curiosity, what kind of engine did it have?

6. Casper

Casper

Hydraulic dump, uses an automotive power steering pump for both the steering and dump box. Capacity is 1k pounds (+). Not sure what the power steering pump is from, but the brake master cylinder is off a 1964 Chevy pickup. C-10 maybe?

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I assume its 4x4?

8. Casper

Casper

Yep. They did make them two wheel drive in early models. They were front wheel drive in that configuration. They sold a kit for $400.00 if you wanted to add it later.

Screenshot_20191219-211630_Gallery.jpg

9. Casper

Casper

Not sure what it had from the factory. I've seen a few with 8hp Tecumsehs. I replaced the Kohler 18hp opposed twin that was in it with the same engine, slightly newer generation.

10. mr.finn

mr.finn

That thing is awesome!! I want one

11. blacktail

blacktail

12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Great story...Nice buggy!!

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great story and share Casper :salute:

14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Go back to bed Bri....:rofl: :lol:

Hammy, Chaz, amateur cutter and 8 others like this.
  15. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I wish brother...Sitting at work waiting for the day to end, then off until the new year!!

How's the back feeling??

Hammy, Chaz, amateur cutter and 7 others like this.
  16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

It’s still there.... enjoy the break!

Hammy, Chaz, amateur cutter and 7 others like this.
  17. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Looks pretty cool! Reminds me of a Toro workman

18. Casper

Casper

Anyone know much about belt selection? This has a centrifugal clutch to a transaxle. It is hard to shift into gear at idle and not making much topend speed. I'm thinking the new belt is too wide and engaged the outer rim of the driven (shiv) at idle and won't go deep enough at top end. There wasn't much to go on with the old belt.

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'd check the inside of the clutches and make sure they are traveling the whole way in and out. If the front clutch isn't closing the whole way, the rear clutch can't open the whole way. Could just need a good cleaning or maybe some nylon buttons or slides. Try some brake clean and steel wool on the sheave faces also and helix slides.
    There could be shims in the driven clutch to adjust belt tension. not sure...
    3211AA08430 PUG MANUFACTURING OEM Equivalent Variable Speed Belt

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel