In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood bundles

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Sandhillbilly, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I know some of you sell bundles of wood so I’d like some thoughts. I have a large amount of cottonwood logs that I hate to see go to waste and although I have been burning some this season for restarts and shoulder season, I have way more than I need.
    So I’ve been thinking about me and the granddaughter selling it by the bundle.

Feel that I can probably get the local grocery store to sell it as they also run a river float trip business. Also the local convince store/ gas station. There’s a national forest 15 miles away and forest users/campers use both of these businesses pretty regularly. Also the tiny town just outside the entrance to the forest has a small business that has a few items and kind of caters to the 4-wheeler crowd. I’ve seen commercial bundles of wood there for( $11? I think) not sure but seemed plenty high.
    So my thought was to split and bag the cottonwood, stack it into ICBS cages and sell the whole cage to the various business and let them mark it up to whatever they want.
    Would the campers care that it’s cottonwood? You see pine bundles all the time, ( same class of shoulder season wood, just smells better). All they really want is a fire to gather around so they can drink adult beverages and talk smart, right?
    I was thinking about $5 a bag and throwing a homemade wax-sawdust-egg carton fire starter in each bag.
    Let me have your thoughts and ideas.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That was my first thought, if the cottonwood smell would deter buyers? Does the smell get better with seasoning?

Also, I saw a picture someone posted here once, It was a large container like IBC size, the store was selling the firewood per stick instead of per bundle.

What a FUN activity for you and grand daughter :)

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

No regulation requiring kiln dried?
    If not, I say go for it!

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Don’t know what or if any regulations exist that would apply here. I know I have seen signs in the forest campground that say “ burn it where you buy it” or something like that. I used to be pretty familiar with the workings of the local forest, not so much anymore. Pretty sure that there’s no campground police spot checking where you got your wood and giving out citations. This would be locally grown and harvested wood anyway, (less than 20 miles).

wouldn’t the onus be on the person actually burning it?

Pretty sure quite a few people bring wood from home with them when they go camping.

I don’t see a difference if someone from the other side of the state buys a pickup load of firewood for their house and then bring a couple dozen splits or so with them when they go camping.

I have no idea if there’s any regulations on any type of firewood sales in Nebraska. Also wouldn’t have a clue where to find out if there is.(other than google of course)

when I asked for advice I was thinking marketing and pricing. I guess I’m just not one to get overly stressed about regulations. Thanks for prompting me to think about that.

for 10 years or so I was the range master for the Nebraska Bowhunters Association, and they hold a jamboree in this forest. I discovered back then that it was far easier to get forgiveness than permission.

amateur cutter and Screwloose like this.
  5. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Ok a quick internet look only talks about hardwood, and more specifically ash. Also not moving it more than 50 miles

amateur cutter and Screwloose like this.
  6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

There was potential for it to be brought up, so I went there early. I personally am anti regulation on many things, so it is my hope that you don’t think I was flagging this notion to be yadda, yadda, yadda...
    I think the plan you laid out sounds great.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

I think it was around 10-ish years ago I set up a wood selling honor system at the cottage. At the same time, I approached a couple convenience stores about selling my bundles to them. One of these stores was always very low or completely out of bundles. I had wanted 2.50 a bundle and the rest was up to them (3.50-4.50 was the norm at that time.)

I guess that if you can find a business that is willing to accept your offer, go for it!

Good luck.

8. Screwloose

Screwloose

Sounds like a great idea and it's not like you have to invest much more than your time.

9. Ron T

Ron T

I would think most of the people buying bundled wood have no clue of species.

10. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

How did you bundle it? Bags?, twine? Stretch wrap?

yooperdave and amateur cutter like this.
  11. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Bags imo are the easiest to get started. Tried twine & it was a pita. Also found that a lot of people don't like plastic due to the enviro waste concerns. If you sell wood that's dry enough to burn well & give a good quantity I'd think you'll do well. Most people buying campfire wood won't know Cottonwood from Spruce or care as long as it burns. I say give it a go & don't let your stores run out. Can't sell what ya don't have.

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

I used the old baling twine. A former boss would save the lengths from traditional sized hay bales and then give them away.

amateur cutter and Sandhillbilly like this.
  13. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Seems labor intensive/time consuming...

amateur cutter and yooperdave like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Wasn't too bad at all. I double wrapped them and then left a loop for a carrying handle. And the twine would be burnt as it wasn't the plastic variety.

But, if you have access to bags at no cost, more power to ya!

amateur cutter and MikeInMa like this.
  15. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

No free bags here. Best price I think I have found is around 60 cents each, not done looking yet.

amateur cutter and MikeInMa like this.
  16. eipo

eipo

NNZ sells .75 bags for $0.16 per 2000 plus freight. My cost after shipping was $0.22 per bag.

17. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Can you send me some more info? Or a link?

amateur cutter likes this.
  18. eipo

eipo

Firewood packaging | NNZ USA

You have to call them, but it was fairly painless and I had the bags in 2 days. Mine don't have any markings on them, they are just plain bags with a drawstring. They work well with a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out.

amateur cutter likes this.
  19. eipo

eipo

Might have to give the nnz bags a second thought. This was from carrying it up the driveway.

[​IMG]

Granted, they don’t need to be heavy duty, but they do need to make it to the customer.

20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

So do you sell bundles?

amateur cutter and farmer steve like this.