In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Widow Benefits

Discussion in 'As You Were' started by wildwest, Mar 3, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I had a great call with my Dad's wife today. We discussed Widow's benefits.

Of course I passed on the great advice you all have added here to go sit down with an adviser at a VA office to help navigate the red tape, and she said she would.

That said she read that profits from the sale of a house is not held against the assets cap for widow benefits. We are both so hopeful. My Dad set up an escrow (for better lack of terms) with the profit from the house they sold but between you and me, it's bare minimum for lights, heat and food per month.

High hopes here and praying the recent disruption in VA funding does not affect her.

PS, someone kick me in buttocks, I have not sent in for Dad's medallion for her to hang on his urn :headbang:

2. DNH

DNH

Was your father disabled? If service related she may be eligible for survivors benefits. But again gotta talk to either VA or DAV, they can fill out the paperwork in 10 minutes it would take you hours or even days!

3. DNH

DNH

:deadhorse:@wildwest closest I could find in place of a swift kick!

4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

:heidi::pain: - second closest thing

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Hoping things will work out for her. Dont forget to send in for the medallion

Chazsbetterhalf and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

He was not disabled physically.... Though PTSD was never mentioned, not even a common term back then, too many things I now can identify he did suffer from it. Idk DNH. Not the right thread for this but I really worry about his wife, I was so jazzed for her getting back into political volunteering like they used to do only 2 weeks ago, but she's no spring chicken either and the state she lives in is not taking coronavirus seriously yet..... Still attending the politcal meetings etc. Sorry for the detour.

Yes, I told her to visit or make an appt with VA where she lives but she has not.... I don't want to break her stride but at the same time I feel protective over her since my dad died, just need to find the right balance with strong suggestions and scaring her off.

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    :handshake:

Thanks guys, it is not done yet, will pull up the paperwork and print it again. Just a lot of stuff going on here that resulted in a giant fail on his medallion :emb:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020