In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why oh why does everything break when you need it most? (AKA pricey snap disc alternatives)

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by GHinNH, Jan 25, 2023.

1. GHinNH

GHinNH

So...
    First real snow, 10" turned into at least 15" and not to upset the tender feelings of the plow guy I hold off pushing it around with my old Gravely model L with the plow blade. I keep paths open and the mailbox otherwise the mail delivery multi-cell organism won't deposit the mail in the box.

Every few years the mushroom muffler rusts out and blows off the end of the pipe so an emergency trip to Tractor supply for a new one (love my real 4WD).

Come home to find one of the stoves out, short story the exhaust blower low limit disc popped. Had one used spare and got it going again, so decided to buy half dozen to have on hand. Their cheap enough, right?

HA! Some places want as much as $100 for ONE, many others are in the $50 range, unless you want to order direct from China and wait a month.

Enter the reason for this whole story. I found a place called, https://www.supplyhouse.com that sells 140F 3/4" low limit snap discs for normal prices. I ran the website through ScamDetector.com and it seems legit, established in 1998 and is HTTPS website.

Has anyone used this website to confirm? They take paypal also, so it wouldn't be a direct charge, so I think I'll go ahead and give them a try unless someone says otherwise?
    snap 140.png

Screwloose, jtakeman and imacman like this.
  2. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Does the snap disc fasten to the exhaust housing and directly contact the exhaust gases ???

Was the original made with a ceramic housing ???

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Supply House is legit. I have done several orders from them for lots of stuff! HVAC-Plumbing and electrical items that are hard to find in my local area, And the ship PDQ!!

Dok440, Screwloose and imacman like this.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Snowy has a valid question. It was on my bucket of bolts usually fixed with a little elbow grease applied to the soot build up on the part in the exhaust stream.

corncob, Screwloose and imacman like this.
  5. GHinNH

GHinNH

I should be getting them tomorrow, checked the UPS "details" and coming from Nashua which is a UPS hub about 30mi away. Since there was no other movement, not even a pickup, they had to have come from somewhere local to Nashua. Nice, I like that.

I've used Zoro a few times, and never had it take more than two days, sometimes even next day. My guess they just take the order and designate it out to the closest retailer. I wonder if Supply House works the same.

Screwloose and imacman like this.
  6. GHinNH

GHinNH

1) Yes
    2) No idea, came on it and has lasted the last 5 years or so we've had it. Saw the ceramic ones and wondered about that, but if it ain't broke don't fix it... May be something to keep in mind though, time will tell.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. GHinNH

GHinNH

The used one I had on hand and put in the other day crapped out today.
    No idea what it was used for but didn't look correct. Was hoping it would last long enough but alas.
    I'm running with a jumper at the moment, so I'll be happy to see the new ones tomorrow.

8. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Those discs are ok from supply house, I have used them but Like Snowy has in her Whitfields, I truly like the long lasting white ceramic Low Limit discs like the those still used in Napoleon pellet stoves so much better!!

Attached Files:

Screwloose likes this.
  9. GHinNH

GHinNH

So having spent the majority of my working life in manufacturing, I know quite well the mark-ups involved. and only do so. Did a little digging first thing while sipping coffee trying to wake up, searched W660-0052 and found a picture that showed some numbers on the disc itself.

Those numbers indicate an Emerson 49T series Therm-O-Disc where 1=air stream mount 2=close on rise.

Emerson Therm-O-Disc 49T12-xxx? the last digits being the major rub. So far I've not even been able to find a list of temp ranges never mind any p/n's. Everything is carefully steered to commercial/manufacturer application only, and not retail sale.
    For those that are not familiar, that is pretty much common practice in the industrial world. That way you have no choice but to contact the manufacturer of your piece of equipment and pay a incredibly stupid price.

I have however not given up, just out of sitting on my butt accomplishing in the morning time. If I were still working I would just walk into engineering and pull the catalog off the shelf. Yes there is still such a thing, and more often times than not, much quicker.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 08-38-00 1_Bimetal.indd - bimetal-49t-section-en-us-5469098.pdf.png Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 08-37-19 1_Bimetal.indd - bimetal-49t-section-en-us-5469098.pdf.png

10. corncob

corncob

The issue is, we now live in a landfill throw away society where it's easier to replace than repair and folks today don't know how to repair stuff anyway. I do and I do. In fact, I work on other folks stuff all the time and I usually don't charge enough either.

Just replaced a front wheel stud on a Subaru WRX that discount Tire twisted off using an impact wrench. Tire jockeys are usually idiots. Being retired from the steel business, I know about markup too. Everyone gets their cut.

Orson_Yancey, GHinNH and don2222 like this.