In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why didn't Noah swat those 2 mosquitoes on the Arc?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Being in the heights of viscous blood sucker season...What have you done, and I am even open to hippy $#!+, to help keep those swarms of satan away!:hair:

Chaz, Jack Straw, brenndatomu and 6 others like this.
  2. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    May try putting the noxious weed wormwood on my camp fire to smolder and smoke a bit. Supposedly it helps and I am open to anything that would help. Anyone tried this?

3. papadave

papadave

Stay in the house.:whistle:
    During their heyday, we bought a bug zapper that sorta kept 'em at bay. Now the thing is zapping tons of moths.

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I know we don't have mosquitoes like some of those areas up north, but we have really got them this year! Worst I've ever seen here!!!

5. papadave

papadave

Same here, and I think they're making a slight comeback.

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

bushpilot shared with me when he worked in Africa the people used to use permethrin on mosquito nets and canopy over beds for sleeping. Our aerial spraying happens about the second week of July here, being near a lake the mosquitos are thick in the early summer, I spray it around my yard, bushes, perimeters of my doors and screens and it atleast helps going in and out of doors. It says you can spray clothes with it and it will last a few weeks, but it has a strong smell. Horkn has a machine he likes, ? dyantrap ?

7. Horkn

Horkn

Yep, we have a dynatrap XL. It works well.
    That reminds me that I need to empty it out.;)

8. billb3

billb3

It has been extremely dry here and they haven't been too bad .
    Actually, the deer flies are worse right now. They seem to wait like vultures.

9. chris

chris

I have to take a shower in deep woods off or similar if I want to have any corpuscles left at the end of the day.

Chaz, Jack Straw, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  10. Erik B

Erik B

Have you tried Buggins? I think it is all natural and it doesn't smell bad and it works.

Chaz, Jack Straw, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  11. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I just bought the best thing I've ever found to repel mosquitoes. It’s called Thermacell. The one I have is in the shape of a lantern. It uses a butane tank to heat a pad which give off an odorless vapor that will keep mosquitoes away for up to four hours per pad. It covers a fifteen foot area. I tried it the first night on the deck and I can say I did not get one bite or hear a skeeter buzzing in my ear. Tried it again the next night to be sure, and it worked the same. Got it st Home Depot. I can’t say enough good things about it. I don’t work for them, own any stock or know them. I just know, for me, it works.

Chaz, Jack Straw, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

NortheastAl is right! For years and years we tried many methods to fight the skeeters. Then many years ago we were introduced to the ThermaCell units. We have the small ones you can carry in a holster or just stick it in your pocket. They work wonders!!!

I've told the story before but here it is again. When we first got the thermacells, I was late that year in stacking wood. It was a hot muggy morning when I decided it had to be done. Wouldn't you know, it also was the first day that year when the skeeters were terrible. I put a shirt on that had long sleeves but it did not help much and the way I sweat didn't help much. Then I remembered the thermacell so went into the house to get it. I turned it on (takes a couple minutes to warm up) and then laid it on the ground right next to me. Wow! In not time at all there were not skeeters near me so off came the shirt. I stacked wood for a few more hours but never got bit once after getting that thing out.

They are not really expensive as you can find them from $20 up to $30. They come with a couple pad and butane. You can buy refills and the least expensive way we've found is to buy a refill with 10 butane tanks. That lasts us a couple years or more.

Chaz, Jack Straw, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  13. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Dennis, I’m glad you said they work because I thought I was crazy at first. Never had anything work when out on the deck at night before. I’d spray down with Deet, but I really don’t like sprays. Now I just go out in short sleeves and shorts. Every year the blood suckers come out earlier and earlier. We’d usually be safe until July, but now they start in June. We even get Day biters too, which really drive me crazy. My lantern was $29.95. The best money I’ve spent. Bought a four pack of refills for $20 which will last a total of 48 hrs of use. I might get another one to completely cover the area of the deck. This thing even keeps the black flies that swarm under the table umbrella away.

Chaz, Jack Straw, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  14. papadave

papadave

Yep, the Thermacell units just plain work. I'm still trying to find a way to nuke 'em all though. :rootintootin:

Chaz, Jack Straw, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

We've been getting them more and more here also. Gheez those little things are annoying! They like to land on the back of your head and neck and ears. And they start biting almost as soon as they land. :doh:

16. billb3

billb3

They used to attack the rear view mirrors on my truck as I came rumbling down the driveway. I'd have to wait several minutes to get out of the truck for the horde to disperse.
    I had a yellow electric fly swatter that they would attack like little Kamikaze flies, but they don't like the new blue one.
    I also found if I put my hand up like a Nazi salute to the stars they sometimes attack my hand which is pretty easy to slap with the other one seeing as I still have 2. Any neighbors watching must think I'm nuts though.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's what that DynaTrap XL that Horkn has is supposed to do...catch 'em all in a 1 acre area (more or less) I haven't tried one yet though...DynaTrap 3-Way Insect Control | DynaTrap

19. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, the dynatrap catches the buggers and essentially holds them prisoner until they die. As good as I hear the thermacells are, they just repel the bugs, but do nothing to the population. It depends where you are using the device. You can't carry a dynatrap around in the woods, well, you could but you'd have extension cords and possibly a generator;), but you can carry a thermacell around and it moves with you.

Whatever you can do to not get bit is the goal, however you get to that point.:yes:

20. papadave

papadave

A bit late in the season now, but we may grab one of those early next year.
    That zapper we got is a Black Flag from Menard's from a couple months ago, but it requires a little pad in a cage that has Octenol on it. Seems to work pretty well, but it loses effectiveness after about month.