In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who's sharpening their bands?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by fuelrod, Aug 23, 2020.

1. fuelrod

fuelrod

My mill came with a sharpener and tooth setter, neither of them were ever used by the previous owner.
    Any secrets?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    metalcuttr, JB Sawman and Chaz like this.
  2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I am not sharpening yet I only have so much time it is in the future I did go to a show and they did stress blade cleaning was important they had a machine especially to clean the blades they also said to not run your blades longer than 6-700 bd ft before sharpening also nail strikes usually mean the blade is marginal for sharpening good luck and keep the stories coming something about sawing is addictive just like firewood JB

metalcuttr and fuelrod like this.
  3. fuelrod

fuelrod

JB I did see a guy on YouTube that rigged up a wire brush on an old motor for putting the shine on bands before sharpening. I already sketched out one with 2 wire wheels rotating against each other to clean both sides at once. I have all the original manuals for both the sharpener and setter. Some assembly required to say the least. I need to set all the parts and pieces out on a bench and it should become obvious with the help of the manuals. I'm just having to much fun cutting and have 5 big boxes of half new and half used bands.

4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I just sent 3 boxes to woodmizer ReSharp 15 blades to a box I know what you mean about having fun cutting I have a shed full of assorted boards off cuts from orders Most projects here fall into the same categories "Some assembly required" or "TLC" ( Tons of labor and currency) putting together a sharpener sounds like a good rainy day mission JB

Cold Trigger Finger and fuelrod like this.
  5. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Trial and error on a few practice blades is how I learned.

What sharpener Setter Combo do you have?

Cold Trigger Finger and fuelrod like this.
  6. fuelrod

fuelrod

I'll let the pictures talk. I was told that these were never used and I believe it. Nothing assembled, cords still bundled up and tied, no wheel on the grinder and no sign of any use just surface rust on the various bars that guide and support the blade as it go's around on the sharpener. Your question got me to take these pics and explore the box that it was all in and partially piece the sharpener together and plug in both the grinder motor and the blade advancement motor. I'm happy to say they both ran just fine. There's also a dial indicator that I presume is to check the "set" of the tooth. I need to find the right board to attach the grinder to and another one for the setter. There both pretty heavy and the setter is designed to be on the edge and will topple off if not fastened down. 20200826_180520.jpg 20200826_180508.jpg 20200826_180820.jpg 20200826_180203.jpg 20200826_180150.jpg 20200826_180222.jpg

7. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Looks Great. I need to get a grinder and setter. I use a Dremil tool with a round grinding bit to sharpen at this point.
    It Definately helps. If I knew of someone local that has a grinder/setter I would have them do it for me. I want to get all the life out of these that I can.