In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who'd be interested in a big GTG here in Central PA?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Scotty Overkill, Feb 13, 2022.

?

Who's in for The Hawg Days of Summer 2022 GTG??

1. YES we're coming to Hawg Days GTG!!

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. We MIGHT be coming to Hawg Days GTG

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. NO, sadly we can't make it to Hawg Days GTG

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

After several years of trying to find a venue for a GTG here in Central PA, blacksmith and I have finally found the perfect place for it. I've long-wanted to do one here at my place, I just don't have the propery to do something like that. We have finally found a fantastic place to have a GTG that can allow all the things we love here......chainsaws, campfires and even guns!

We are coining it the first annual "Hawg Days 2022" GTG, the tentative dates are June 10, 11, and 12, 2022.

"Two-strokin', Paper-pokin' and Campfire-stokin' into Summer 2022"

It's at a fantastic local sportsman's association very close to Joe and I (we've felled trees for them before), tucked back in a little gap in the mountain. Plenty of wood to cut and split, some fantastic gun ranges, plenty of camping area, pavilions to get out of the rain should the sky open up, and permission to have a bonfire and campfires.....There's also several nearby motels (literally 15-20 mins away from the site) right off of Interstate 99 for those who don't want to camp, or you can just make a day trip (but we'd rather have yas for the whole weekend!!)

We will plan on having a whole stack of chainsaw racing cants, grilles and smokers, and firepits for cooking whatever we all decide (we are planning on roasting a whole hog), as well as the gun range for those that wish to do some shooting.

There's lots of details to be hashed out yet, we are seeing what kind of interest there is in such an event. We are most likely looking at the second weekend in June, if that date works with most of yas. We need input from YOU, OUR ESTEEMED MEMBERSHIP. We also are posting up for our friends over on [OPE, this may turn into a yearly event if all goes to plan!

What we need right now is yinz to give us some feedback, input and suggestions.....so let's get this thread hoppin!!

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Have to check the calendar, but I sure wouldn't want to miss this one. What town will this be in??

5. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Is it close to Duncansville, State College area?

6. Scotty Overkill

Between Bellwood and Altoona

7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Depending on weekend that sounds really awesome and in my driving range to make a weekend or at least an overnight trip for sure.

8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Quick question. Do they have electric?

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’d be in. More than willing to help out with any prep if needed. Last time you did a whole hog at Chris’s place it was outstanding! :drool:

10. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Pencil me in. Work takes me to that area a few times a year. Beautiful area.

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Count me in!

Just something to think about at that time of year is graduation parties.

12. Hall84

Hall84

Definitely count us in, as Wolverine stated I’ll help out with whatever buddy.

13. Scotty Overkill

Yes they have electric at the lodge and pavilions for sure

14. Scotty Overkill

I can promise you all it will be a great time. We will probably start hauling logs there as soon as we figure out a date, the club has several trees that we can fell. All the wood we cut/split will be donated for the club to use in their lodge all winter.

This place is awesome, the log lodge was built around 1910 or so, completely put of American chestnut, and it's VERTICAL logs....not horizontal.

It's a beautiful area, back in the woods where there's no sounds of traffic or anything. You all will love it.

15. Redneck

Redneck

16. Chaz

Chaz

Guess it's the right day to come out of hermitage.
    :startled:

That's practically in the back yard, an easy trip. I just need the AC on in the truck.
    :rofl: :lol:

We'd definitely be interested in attending.

Besides, who doesn't love a good pig roast.
    :drool::drool:

17. Scotty Overkill

The site of the GTG is situated in the mountains of Central PA in a tight little gap called Riggles Gap. The grounds consist of 500 acres. There is a 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard rifle/ pistol range. 25 and 50 yard muzzle loader range and a 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle range and a pistol range to knock down bowling pins and steel targets.

They also have a skeet and trap range but it will be closed, that is where we will be camping. The camping area is aprox 150 X 150 yards. The address of the venue is:

Blair County Game Fish and Forestry Association.
    301 Riggles Gap Sportsmen Rd, Altoona, PA 16601

If you have intentions of coming to the GTG, you must be a member of FHC or OPE, or accompanied by a member from either site. If you intend on bringing a firearm to the GTG, you must do so legally and be legally allowed to own and operate a firearm. Be aware of interstate laws and regulations when considering bringing a firearm. We are being granted a great gift using this site, so please respect it and it may become a yearly tradition!

Kubota's, 4 wheelers, side by sides and splitters are welcome. There is plenty of room for camping. Alcohol beverages are a 'gray area', but may be consumed once the saws and guns are put away for the day, and just as with the guns and saws, we ask you be responsible with it. We will discuss that kind of stuff once we figure out a closer head count. As with all of our FHC goings-on, this is a FAMILY FRIENDLY event. We encourage you to bring your family if they enjoy these kind of activities, we've had many wives/kids and even parents/siblings of members come along only to end up having a fantastic time.

There is a pavilion and a kitchen for use that would be prvided for an extra charge. Porta John's are already there for use.

We were thinking of roasting a pig (or several pork butts) for the main meat course. Cups plates and plastic ware will be provided.
    Eveyone can bring something of their choosing a side, dessert, snacks etc.

So if you're into two strokn', paper pokin' and campfire stokin' good time then let's start the summer off right with some fun!

18. Biddleman

Biddleman

I would be in but I think my son has state sporting clays around then.
    Sure sounds like a ton of fun.

19. blacksmith

blacksmith

The GTG date is June 10, 11 and 12th if it wasn't stated earlier.

20. blacksmith

blacksmith

I did think about that Dennis. I didn't want to put it to close to any other GTG'S. Plus the whole month of June is free for us to have the GTG. It's a busy place and they always have some kind of event happening a bunch of different weekends.