In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who has the Gummy Fix on their Harman? See pic - How do u like it?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Aug 26, 2016.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    The "Gummy Fix"' is a high temp silicone hose from the base of the air inlet flange to the back of the feeder welderment. Search on Harman Air Crossover Tube Kit - Harman Part number: 1-00-67900
    Includes 8-1/2" of 9mm silicone tube, two 3/8" brass sleeves and instructions.

It prevents the auger and burn pot from caking up with black carbon and sticky black creasote. Hence called the famous "Gummy Fix"
    For Harman Pellet Stoves:
    Accentra, Accentra Insert, P52i Insert, Advance, HF60, P35i Insert, P38, P43, P61, P61A, P68, PF100, XXV, PC45, PB105
    Heatilator Eco-Choice Pellet Stoves:
    BH60, BH105, BA100

See Harman Accentra Insert gummy fix pic, see yellow arrows below:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

Is this something newer stoves automatically came from the factory with

ttdberg likes this.
  3. don2222

don2222

Yes but I am not sure if it was all models so you may want to check.

ttdberg likes this.
  4. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

Got it

ttdberg likes this.
  5. savemoney

savemoney

Look at what I found on a FB group for sale for $2000. Seems like a good price for a Harman.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Russell, gbreda, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

hmmm......which stove is this, and how old? Middle of the road, if its a p61A, they go for just under $3k brand new these days, but this one has bright nickel trim.....maybe a fair price if they include the pipe, floor protection.....maybe. I'd try and give them $1500 cash......and only if it includes everything!

savemoney likes this.
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

we have fitted many of the old feeders with this fix, seems to work pretty well. All of the new units have them, and the great majority of the UL feeders as well. I don't think very many UL feeders were produced without it, but I am sure there are a few. The thing is, the worst part of these gummy issues wasn't putting the kit on, rather, was cleaning all the gummy schmutz out of the inside of the feeder......in most cases, this was why the unit stopped working. Frankly, easier to replace the weldment.

8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I hate cleaning 'sote off things.

9. don2222

don2222

One word for that

Acetone!

10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Not better! Bad stuff.

savemoney and will711 like this.
  11. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

My 2014 P43 had the gummy fix new, out of the box. The 2008 P68 does not have it. I've never had the gummy problem on either stove, but I wonder if it's worth retro-fitting the P68 with this anyway? Is there any other benefit to it besides preventing the gummy problem? I will say that the P43 seems to have an all around better time burning, no matter what pellets I put in - it happily burns through them, always leaving little ash in the burnpot to cleanup. In the P68, if I'm burning heavy ash pellets, the ash does not blow out of the pot as well as it does in the P43. I've been under the impression that's due to the overall burnpot design being different between the two stoves. The slope of the P43 burnpot appears steeper and it has 7 rows of air holes as opposed to 5 rows in the P68. Seems like the P43 has better air flow in the pot, and burns the pellets "more completely" so to speak. I realize there's about a hundred other reasons the stoves could behave differently in this regard, but just curious if this gummy fix could contribute anything to it.

savemoney and bogieb like this.
  12. don2222

don2222

I recently worked on two Harman Accentra inserts that I clean yearly and one had the fix and one did not. The one that did not have the fix had a lot more black carbon to scrape off in the burn pot. However the one that had the fix, had more black ash in the liner. Interesting but hard to say if the fix made a lot of difference. I am sure it varies on the installation and environment bit seems to be worth a try since it does really clear up the gummy problem. I have an old PP38+ Without the fix that had a pretty gummed up auger.

savemoney and ttdberg like this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

I have observed the same between my P43 (2012 model) and the P61a (2013 model). P43 burns much cleaner, less ash and less speed bumps. P61 has a lot fewer air holes and the shallower burnpot. However, I tend to put the crappier pellets in the P61a and use the better (FSU, PTL etc) in the P43. Also, try to keep the smaller pellets in the P43 while the P61 gets the longer pellets. This year, once fall burning is over, I should be to burning the same brands in both stoves for an extended period of time, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

14. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

don't worry about the P68 if it hasn't gummed up in 8 years, it probably isn't going to.....

savemoney, bogieb and ttdberg like this.
  15. don2222

don2222

Yes, this gummy issue seems to be much more prevalent in the smaller BTU stoves like the PP38+, P43 and Accentra and Accentra Insert.
    So my question is:
    Will the Advance benefit from this crossover air kit "Gummy Fix" ???

16. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

well, it wont hurt, but I cant say it will benefit either

17. savemoney

savemoney

No gummy issue seen in my stove. but then I have only used it two winters. One heck of a heater is all I can say. Easy to maintain. Much better than the one I owned. My son has my old stove. I put the "old one" in service in 2008. Even that stove isn't so old. He likes it. I can see why, he didn't have to pay for it.

bogieb and don2222 like this.
  18. don2222

don2222

Yes, I have worked on many many stoves now and I still luv my 2 P61a stoves more than ever!
    I did get a Harman Advance for my new work shop. It was an older 2004 model and I learned a lot working on it so I cannot complain. It is a little harder to clean but works very well although it has just been discontinued last year. It had a good run and it is a pretty stove. The P61a is the workhorse that heats our house and it always will. :)
    The P61a in my old garage/workshop is between the house P61a in the basement and the new workshop Advance stove so it is a great backup for either stove! :)
    The best way to control these stoves on my iPhone is with the Lowe's Iris T-Stat :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Lousyweather and bogieb like this.
  19. cliffmac

cliffmac

Hello Don,
    I'm interested in the "fix" would you happen to have a complete download of the instructions, seem awful expensive for a piece of 9mm tubing and a couple of brass fittings.
    i see your drilling instructions but would like to have the instruction sheet.
    Thx in advance for your time.
    Cliff

badbob and bogieb like this.
  20. don2222

don2222

It is a kit sold by Harman
    The instructions are attached.

Attached Files:

badbob and bogieb like this.