In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whitfield Advantage Replacing & Upgrading an old broken scraper rod!

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jul 18, 2018.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    This old Whit had many hidden horrors like a the ash pan latch with a broken base plate on the inside. Split in two but all it took was a little welding! Also the bottom left door hinge tab dangling by a thread but a little weld there and bingo, good as new!
    Now for the broken cleaning rod. The end of the rod weld broke so the rod pushes right through the cleaning rake!
    Lennox Whitfield makes a scraper rod replacement kit part # 1475001 that is labeled for the Profile 20 & 30. Does it work with the old Advantage? I took the $105 dollar gamble$$$ and the abs the answer is Yes it does! Whew!
    So here is the story.
    The 4 nuts that came with the rod are small and do not seem to fit very well, so I got some nice Stainless Steel nuts and they glide right on! Good that they do when they are taped into the straight wrench and you are lying on your back with soot falling on your face! LOL

Pic 1 - new scraper rod replacement kit
    Pic 2 - cutting off the rod with a dremel
    Pic 3 - cut rod
    Pic 4 - lower half of cut rod dangling
    Pic 5 - Threading 1st rod on with straight wrench
    Pic 6 - manuvering the dangling cut piece up over the heat tubes on the right side until the cut rod falls down the ash chamber to the ash cleanout hole for retrieving!
    Pic 7 - cut piece in hand!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Chaz likes this.
  2. don2222

don2222

More pics
    The new rod is heavier and with a good 1/4-20 nut on both sides there is more strength to hold the rack perpendicular so there is less racking which makes the rod much easier to pull in and out! Much better now!

Pic 8 - Old rod with cut for removal
    Pic 9 - the end of the lower cut half showing failure.
    Pic 10 - new rod secured to the rake and works even better and is stronger too

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Chaz likes this.
  3. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Thanks for the likes Chaz
    I finally got the stove cranking!
    See Video

Chaz likes this.
  4. Chaz

Chaz

Is this a used stove you picked up, or your regular burner that needed a little TLC in the off season?

5. don2222

don2222

It was a beat up used stove I found that needed a lot of TLC including some welding to fix it up!

Chaz likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz

Looks like you did just fine on the stove.
    Even better if it was a freebie. :thumbs:

7. don2222

don2222

Thanks, Not free but cheap although the auger bearing was frozen to the auger and the auger motor and exhaust blowers were shot so they had to be replaced and the damper was stuck so it had to be removed, cleaned and painted. Also with all parts and wiring removed from the inside of the stove, I gave it a shot of VHT very high temp flat black as a primer coat and then a coat of stove bright satin black for a nice looking and very protective second coat and then put all the parts and wiring back in! The exhaust venting flange was loose and leaking so I pulled it and installed a new flange with larger bolts so it will not get loose again with clear silicone seal and I nice flat aluminum paint for that wow effect! Whew!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    BHags and Chaz like this.