In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

White Oak Scrounge!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RabbleRouser, Nov 11, 2019.

1. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

My son came back from fishing yesterday and told me there was a tree all cut up at the lake association property club house, thought it was White Oak. Of course he took a few pictures and it certainly was. Big stuff too. Didn't get a reply till after dark but the association people said it's up for grabs but mostly the big stuff left. Got in the truck and went down. Some smaller stuff that was all crotches and such. They will get cut into thick cookies that can dry fast by the stove. Rest was VERY large. No hope of hefting them into the truck but we did manage to tip a couple up onto another and then tip it into the truck. Came home last night with these.

IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0589.JPG

Went back today with the log splitter in tow and managed to get another load.
    IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

2. TMACK

TMACK

Heck ya ,white oak definitely worth the effort.:thumbs:

3. saewoody

saewoody

Looks like they are almost 30” across. Great score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bill2

Bill2

Great BTU's-well worth going after.

5. GrJfer

GrJfer

RabbleRouser those are some big rounds of white oak. Great score for sure.

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My back broke just looking at those huge rounds in the truck!
    Great wood score! Hoard on.

7. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Getting those rounds in the truck wasn't easy. My son, 16 years old, was helping me and at one point jumped back and said something just dropped down inside his pants leg... He was thinking a bug. I told him he better check and make sure he didn't drop one of his... (sorry ladies). He was hysterical for over a minute. Told him, tuck your pants into your socks, just in case. :rofl: :lol: Making memories hoarding firewood with dad.:D

Still three bigger pieces down there, they were cut even longer, I just didn't have the energy.

I think the rounds are pushing 34-36 inches. Will put a tape on them tomorrow.

If there's one thing I love about the wood burning stove, it's sitting in front of it and letting the heat radiate into my aching back.

8. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Here's a big white oak west of Redding California that survived the infamous Carr fire, which started not 1/4 mile from here and went on to burn 230,000 acres. Last time I had seen this tree it was in amongst terrible fuel - brush, grass, scrub. I was sure it was burned up - but here it is a year later - note the green leaves. This is the kind of tree firewoodhoarders probably dream of.
    [​IMG]
    Imagine what a round of this might weigh????

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice stuff! :thumbs: Love me some white oak! How's your back feeling after lifting those rounds?

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i cant imagine! Cool pic though. Thanks for sharing. Imagine what a tree that size has experienced in its lifetime?

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Yeah, a lot of visits from dogs.

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Wow. Great score for sure. Made me sort of cringe seeing those big blocks in the truck, but many of us have done the same thing over the years. It had to be nice having your son work with you.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum Buzz.

Indeed, that is perhaps the largest oak I've ever seen. Makes one wonder just how much firewood you could get from that. But I hope nobody cuts it until it shows signs of dieing.

14. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

15. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

That's an impressive tree. Hope it continues to survive.

16. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Have to admit, late in the afternoon yesterday my back was telling me I did something stupid. I have this problem with admitting I'm not 35 anymore. But I keep a well stocked herbal pharmacy in the pantry. A double shot of anti-inflammatories and anti-spasmodics, a good nights sleep and I'm right as rain today. Which is good, cause it's raining. Cold and crappy too so... time for a fire.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hurt my back in January. MRI later confirmed bulging discs. PT and mind full lifting plus the brace (i call it my girdle) make a difference. Your a year ahead of me and i agree. Still think im young. I tell everyone in 21 with 30 years experience!:BrianK:

18. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Just a suggestion, but maybe try hand splitting before loading in the truck? not as involved as bringing the hydraulics, and in my experience white oak splits pretty easy, for the most part. I haven’t tried to split a round that big, so I could be wrong, but even sledge and wedge would probably end up saving the back some grief.
    I realize hindsight is 20/20, and don’t mean to pile on, but just want to save some back pain, because I know what a pain in the rear-side it can be.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

one on my things was to open the door and let heat radiate after a cold day of working outside. Often falling asleep on the hardwood floor with the cat enjoying the heat as well.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yup. it will pop rather easily with sledge and wedge. Noodling is always an option. If tried noodling maybe 3/4 thru then swinging the Isocore which worked well too.