In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whats On The Menu For Christmas/New Year?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by SKEETER McCLUSKEY, Dec 22, 2021.

1. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i have a top sirloin roast(small) and a boneless ribeye roast(small)plus some other things.....
    im gonna cook the sirloin roast traditional ~125-130° internal......the ribeye im gonna cook like a brisket...never done one before like that.:chef::drunk:

2. Geoff C

Geoff C

I got a 7lb standing rib roast. Salted and wrapped in the fridge to cook Christmas Eve.

I’m going to do the put it in a cold oven set to 250 till meat is 120. Let meat rest bring oven to 500 put back in for 10 minutes.

3. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Gonna grill some steaks and try some crab legs. Oddly enough our local small town grocery store decided to bring in some crab legs. They’ll be good for Nebraska I’m sure. I’ve never made them before but I’m sure a couple hours in the wood stove will cook them enough :rofl: :lol:

4. corncob

corncob

Standing rib roast, potatoes from the garden, carrots from the garden and green beans from the freezer (from the garden again). Standing rib from the side of beef I had butcherd in the fall and froze. Pretty much a Christmas eve tradition here and then of course a nap afterwards because we always eat too much, another tradition here.

Looking forward to pigging out...:p

5. corncob

corncob

Nothing beats a cold, sliced prime rib sandwich on bread (your choice) with mustard the day after.

6. Unclefish

Unclefish

Venison Backstrap seasoned with Montreal steak season wrapped in Thick cut bacon.

7. corncob

corncob

I have about every wild game meat in the freezer but Christmas is about prime rib for us. Lets see, I have White tail, bear, elk and some frozen squirrel stew too. Have a full large chest freezer full and another one about loaded wit vegetables from the garden. Root cellar is loaded with canned stuff, taters, yams and carrots in sand in baskets.

No one here goes hungry. I do believe Amy is gonna bake a pumpkin pie for dessert too.

8. Warner

Warner

9. corncob

corncob

Hunk of beef there for sure...

Chazsbetterhalf and Chvymn99 like this.
  10. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

Chazsbetterhalf and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. Warner

Warner

11lbs.

I picked up at the butcher I go to often after hours, He and the boys were having a couple out back. Lucky for me he was feeling generous and some lady had complained that she did not want the loin end. I was looking for something a bit smaller but he made an offer I couldn’t refuse. People are paying more per pound for Hamburg than I did for that roast.

I do have to confess I did hack the little rib off for a treat after the holidays.

12. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Double smoking a ham and making pig shots for Christmas eve at the in laws. Then smoking a breakfast fatty for Christmas morning. Then I've got a beautiful 13lb prime brisket for one of the days after :beerbbq:

13. corncob

corncob

I paid 8 bucks a pound which is less than last year. I was very surprised. You need to take a meat saw to that log and make it into smaller roasts. Lasts longer that way. Soon the house will be filled with the aroma of standing rib cooking in the oven. I prefer mine a bit rare but my wife likes it well done and she's cooking it so I'll deal with well done.

14. Warner

Warner

Sacrilege!

15. M2theB

M2theB

I bet the legs will be great!
    I spent some time working and living in Mandan ND and there was a place in town that on Wednesdays it was all you could eat crab legs for something not much. Always great!

16. M2theB

M2theB

9.5 lbs rib roast as a back up plan.
    War Department and SILs are still weighing meeting up or postponing.
    Either way, it’s rib roast

17. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Full packer choice brisket for Christmas Eve, the normal fare for Christmas Day…

18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

After many, many years of hosting Christmas dinner, we have dialed it way back. Just the two of us for a ham dinner with backed potatoes, butternut squash, and corn frozen off the cob, which was bought at a local farm this past summer.

Fresh baked strawberry rhubarb pie.

19. corncob

corncob

Went back today and bought a 10 pounder and sawed it in half and it just went to the freezer. They only had 2 whoppers left and I took one. Now have 4 in the freezer plus the one defrosting in the fridge. Probably never get it that cheap again.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  20. g60gti

g60gti

Making a top round for French dip sammiches and a boneless leg of lamb with a mint chimichurri style sauce. Both cooked sous vide then chilled. The roast I’ll bring back up to temp on the smoker and the lamb I’ll char over some coals. Think the father in law is bringing pierogis and parents making some sort of appetizer. We don’t have a sit down dinner, eat when how and where you want. My sister does a more formal dinner on Christmas night.