In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What type of wood is this??

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by BurningPNWood, Oct 29, 2019.

1. BurningPNWood

BurningPNWood

I have some 6+year seasoned wood, stacked in rounds on my property from the previous owner and have no idea what the species is. I just split some, and at first I thought it was eastern red cedar. Yet it burns forever, doesn't spark at all, and leaves a bed of coals like no other. Anyone know the species? (First post btw, love the forum)

Attached Files:

2. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome to FHC. You'll like it here. We like dogs, beer and lots of pic. I will leave your question to the people with more knowledge.

3. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, welcome to FHC!!

Is the wood relatively light? Any fragrance to it? It sure looks coniferous.

4. BurningPNWood

BurningPNWood

Thank you for the say somwelcome. It's not light really lightweight, id say it weighs more than than the brown cedar I have. It seems to burn longer, and coals more than my maple which is wierd. Here's last nights fire

Attached Files:

5. saewoody

saewoody

That’s an awesome looking fire. Maybe the coolest I’ve ever seen. In terms of the firewood, that purple heartwood looks like any of the cedar I’ve ever split, but I haven’t had much of it. I’m on the east coast so I generally deal with hardwoods. So maybe it makes sense that it is Eastern Red Cedar. When the fresh cedar is split, the purple heartwood is really vibrant. But as it dries it looks more like the faded color in your pic. That makes sense since you said that wood had been in rounds for 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  6. billb3

billb3

looks like cedar but if you're getting long burns out if it, it might be boxelder which is a maple.
    sure looks more like cedar though

7. Shawn T.

Shawn T.

I’m terrible at wood ID:
    I agree the core looks like our eastern red cedars here, but the bark looks way less ‘flakey’

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Lots of great folks here sharing knowledge and humor. Bark doesn't look like the Eastern Red Cedar we have, maybe some of our west coast friends have an idea... metalcuttr FatBoy85 mrfancyplants campinspecter

9. campinspecter

campinspecter

Looks like second growth Douglas Fir to me large growth rings .

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'd guess box elder. Which is a maple.

11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I’m actually East coast (mid-Atlantic), but I would say Douglas Fir.

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Im sorry, got you on the wrong side of the nation...had you confused with another member...:handshake:

13. billb3

billb3

As it is in the PNW i'd guess western red cedar. It's not really a cedar but in the same family as arborvitae, just the side of the family that gets quite large, although some/many arborvitae can get quite large if given the time and space. Usually "cedar" pops and sparks, but who knows what it does if it is allowed to sit for 6 years. Could they have been 30 year old recycled untreated telephone poles ? They'd be pretty hard by that age I'd think.
    We've used "cedar" for fence poles and the part that isn't in the ground stands up to the elements a lot better than eastern white pine. They are used as shingles after all. Pine, not so much.

14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yeah that’s Doug fir for sure. I have seen the heartwood be a range of orange to red and some hue of purple. Very decent firewood you have there!:yes: Maple is good here but it doesn’t burn to coals like our eastern counterparts do. Doug is king in terms of supply and best bang for your buck if you were to buy it. Oh and Welcome to FHC.