In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What mill do you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Holland Dell, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

In my defense, I tried to search this forum for an answer to my question and came up empty. If this question is redundant, tuff tiddies.:deadhorse::D So here it is, I'm new to milling. I looked at the pros and cons to an Alaskan style mill, but think a portable bandsaw mill is a better choice for me. I don't need a commercial or hydraulic unit, but something to play with, stack a few boards and help out friends and neighbors with that random log. I have plenty of logs of my own to keep me busy as well. I'd like to stay below $10,000.00. Comfort spot would be $6 - 8,000.00. Milling 9-12 foot logs 25-30 inches, but flexible on this if the money isn't terrible. Thanks for the help.

Murphy681, Jack Straw, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

the best advice I could give you is if this virus stuff ever ends and you could get to a timber or woodsmans show you could look at a lot of mills at once I shopped for a while and looked at a lot of mills I went with wood mizer and have been very pleased with their support any machine can have problems and the backup help was great all the manual mills will cut good lumber just depends what features you want engine size is important and if you are leaving set up or being portable one thing to look at is the log clamping dogs they really take abuse and a sturdy clamp is important Hope this helps you out JB

Murphy681, mat60 and Screwloose like this.
  3. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Thanks JB. I had a short list made up of possible mills. My top four choices were Woodmizer, EZ, Norland and Woodland Mills. All had their pros and cons, but similar. I pulled the trigger yesterday on the Woodland Mills 130 Max with planned modifications and custom built trailer. It really came down to the Woodmizer and Woodland.
    The benefit of the Woodland is a dealer 20 minutes from me.

mat60, Screwloose and JB Sawman like this.
  4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Like I said support is important I have heard a lot of good about woodland mills just remember manual mills require a strong back and going to the local gym watching the girls on the exercise machines does not help too much:rofl: :lol: peavey is almost a necessary tool for a manual mill good luck looking forward for your pictures the only other advice is sharp blades and finding the blade that suits your mill some like 10degree some like 7degree I change as to what I am sawing any help there are enough sawyers in this group to help you out Enjoy JB

mat60 and Screwloose like this.
  5. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Looking foreword to seeing pics.

mat60 likes this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

If you don't mind my asking, where is the dealer (what town) you speak of? Web site? Thanks!

(PM me if you want)

mat60 likes this.
  7. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Google - Woodland Forestry Products in Argyle, WI (southwest corner of the state)
    His name is Dan Reed. He also has a Facebook page under Woodland Forestry Products. Great guy and very knowledgeable about the product and general milling questions.

yooperdave likes this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

9. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

You know that you guys really have me thinking......
    this may not end well.

brenndatomu, Husky Man and yooperdave like this.
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Hey...... it'll help to get you off the streets!

brenndatomu, buzz-saw and Husky Man like this.
  11. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

That's what I am afraid of.
    I can just blame it on the Mrs. She has been bugging me about making a table for the kitchen for a while , sounds legit to me.

brenndatomu, fuelrod, TBONE and 2 others like this.
  12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Well it's over.
    Woodland mills is now on order. Time to start setting up an area so when it gets here I can let it eat.
    I had a bad feeling it was going to turn out this way.
    Have tossed this around in my mind for a couple years now or probably longer so now the pain and suffering will soon be over.

I will keep you posted on how this goes.

brenndatomu, fuelrod, TBONE and 3 others like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

That's great! Looking forward to the pics!

(Man, that didn't take much!)

14. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks Dave ,
    Actually it took years , I almost did this a while back but held off.
    I just had to find the mason jar buried in the back yard that's been holding all my play money , ground was thawed out enough so I was able to dig it up. I was afraid if the ground froze again it might be another year.

15. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Sawmilling is another affliction once you start it just keeps progressing I Know!! :loco: :crazy: JB

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. yooperdave

yooperdave

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Cousin Eddie? Is that you???

Yarn | Yeah, I got money buried all over this yard, Clark. ~ Vegas Vacation (1997) | Video clips by quotes, clip | 24e52a65-4f7f-4d10-ab6a-66921dd8e91a | 紗 (getyarn.io)

brenndatomu and TBONE like this.
  17. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

LOL:rofl: :lol:
    Now you know my true identity :whistle:

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

:zip: :handshake:

Jack Straw likes this.
  19. Husky Man

Husky Man

A CSM was my Gateway Drug to milling, I would Love to have a Bandmill, but there are too many factors besides initial cost, preventing me from getting a Band Mill.

We live in a neighborhood, on just a .17(Notice the POINT) Acre lot, we have Great Neighbors (and want to KEEP IT that way ;) ) I plan on doing most of my milling where the trees come down, and I simply don’t have the Room for a Band Mill set up, never mind the equipment to handle large logs. And a CSM can handle much LARGER Logs than the Band Mills I could consider.

Long term goals are to buy a couple acres near by that I can put a shop or two on, I need a place for the boats and general storage as well as workshop space.

There was a nice, almost 3 acre lot less than 3 miles from the house that I was eyeing, on the market for awhile. It evidently had some issues with a shared well, and came off the market, but that is really GOOD for me, as the timing just wasn’t right, maybe I will be better situated before it is resolved and back on the market.

I would love to add a Band Mill, but I am really expecting to do more in low volume larger pieces, like Table Tops, than dimensional lumber production, where a Band Mill, would really have the advantage in many respects, still doesn’t change that I WANT one ;)

Doug :cheers:

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Hello all,
    Following JB's advice, I am reaching out to everyone. I have tons of elm and walnut logs ready to mill. I've read the elm can be tougher to mill and the walnut as well, but not as hard as the elm. I also understand the elm may require good pressure when stacking to keep it straight. I think the elm will be used for 4x4, 6x6, stickers and some minor dimensional lumber to construct a firewood and slab wood storage building. The walnut will be slabbed. Do you have any recommendations on where I should start with my blade selection (7 and 10 degree etc.) or advice on milling the elm?
    Thanks

buzz-saw likes this.