In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What is a good compressor tank pressure to mount tires using an impact wrench?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jan 9, 2018.

1. don2222

don2222

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. huskihl

huskihl

Every gun is different. On mine, I tighten each lug for a few seconds after snug. Some impacts will snap a stud off after a few seconds. Could put a few on and check with a torque wrench and compare to what the specs are for that lug

3. Screwloose

Screwloose

I'm going to step out on a limb and say that you should use a torque wrench. Just snug them with the impact,no more. Today's rotors warp to easily to just hammer them on.

4. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Definitely good practice to use a torque wrench.

5. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

I run the pressure to the gun around 85-100 psi, but my air gun has a torque adjustment. I put it mid range to get the lugs off and at the minimum to spin them back on just over finger tight. I then finish tightening in 2-3 stages using a torque wrench and a star pattern. Keeps everything well centered and balanced.

6. ironpony

ironpony

Why do you even have air anymore??? buy some 20v lithium tools and sell all the air stuff..................

metalcuttr likes this.
  7. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Because after 5 years the compressor still holds the same pressure whereas the batteries are garbage.

8. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Agreed on spin on with impact
    Torq with wrench
    That little tank will drop pressure too fast to generate the best Torq .

metalcuttr and concretegrazer like this.
  9. RCBS

RCBS

10. dingbat

dingbat

Years ago I had the good fortune to work in a good tire, wheel and undercarriage shop. The way we did it was remove with impact, spin on with 4-way, torque to spec.

It's not just an issue of over torquing. You just don't feel things with an impact like you do with a 4-way like if you're galling a stud etc.

I think spinning them on is the easy part anyway.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. bocefus78

bocefus78

I'll echo the others. Impact is for removal. Those torque sticks are nice, but read your door tag and make sure you get the right one for your auto.

You'll learn why you don't just guess when you have to change a tire on the road with No air tools.

metalcuttr, Camber and concretegrazer like this.
  12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Aluminum wheels must be torqued with a torque wrench!

13. don2222

don2222

Why do many places that sell tires use air wrenches to put wheels back on?

14. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Because they are lazy, it is cheaper and faster, most of the time it works OK and doesn’t damage anything, and because when it does most customers won’t notice the vibration and complain?

metalcuttr, papadave and dingbat like this.
  15. bocefus78

bocefus78

Because tire shops don't employ good techs with knowledge. They employ guys who can't or didn't make it in an actual shop doing diagnosis, and repairs more involved than an oil change.

Discount tire, the torque spec link you posted, won't even do alignments iirc. They don't trust their employees with a lift, rack, etc. That should tell you something.

They also don't remove any corrosion in the wheels before mounting new tires. Yes....your $900 set of michelins will leak and they don't care.

16. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Their listed torque spec for my vehicle is also off by 13 ft-lbs from the manufacturer’s spec. Don’t trust tire shops, especially the lowest price discount ones.

17. dingbat

dingbat

The good news is aside from the bigger trucks and equipment and some older volvos and subarus you can torque just about anything to 80 ft/lbs and be just fine.

metalcuttr likes this.
  18. Screwloose

Screwloose

A good friend of mine is a GM tech and the torque sticks are a no go anymore, at least at this dealership. Back to torque wrenches.

19. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Because they have massive HP 2 stage compressors with big air storage tanks for high volume and fast recovery of air. That little air compressor you have will do the job it will just take a lot of hammering. It takes 30 seconds to torq a wheel with a wrench for piece of mind.
    Best thing you could do for the best torq in your situation is change fittings on compressor to 1/2 inch use a 1/2" whip off the compressor = more air volume. Recovery time is going to kill you though. Quicker to just torq them.
    My shop has an 80 gal IR single stage compressor. Down line I added a 180 gallon tank. 1/2" line servicing tank and all ports. For tire work I have an old 20 gallon portable air compressor that I stripped the junk motor off and plumbed an inlet and outlet with shut off valve and quick connects. 1/2" line services this portable tank which gets moved to the area where tire work is being done.The more volume of air and the closer you can get it to your work the better. This setup improved the performance of my system 100 fold.

don2222, metalcuttr and CleanFire like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

It's faster...and easier...and I'm ok with just running them up slow and easy with the air gun then finishing with the torque wrench, but not every mechanic will take the time and care to do that.

I've had overtightened lug nuts! And it totally pizzes me off that a so-called mechanic will do this!
    Aluminum wheels get tightened with a torque wrench...
    and for the record, some wheels should be retorqed at a later time as per the manufacturer's spec. This means returning to the garage or having one on hand to do it yourself.