In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What a difference a day makes...

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by MAF143, Aug 2, 2020.

1. MAF143

MAF143

Yesterday:
    Spent the morning on my cousin's boat chasing Walleye in Lake Erie north of Lorain. Not a care in the world. I hadn't been out on the lake since back in the early '90s. What a way to forget about the world...

Walleye tonight for dinner was OUTSTANDING...

Erie.JPG
    Fishing is way better than being in the office...

However, this afternoon I got to fix the driveway after 3 short stormy bursts late yesterday.

rain guage.jpg
    6" in the rain guage... We needed rain here, but this was too much too fast...

tractor.jpg
    Fergey might not be the fastest way to repair the drive, but I've done it enough now that I've got it figured out and it doesn't take long at all. It usually takes 4 or 5 passes, but today was more like 25.

erosion.JPG
    This was the worst our drive has ever washed out. Some of the gulleys were 8" deep.

driveway hill.jpg
    Just getting started. This is just the first pass coming down starting to get the stone back to the middle so I can pull it back up the hill.
    I spread it out and re-packed it with the truck. I didn't think to get an after pic. It was drizzling while I worked on it and I couldn't wait to get back in the house.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Holy smokes! Yes, that is too much of a good thing. We got 1.7" and it all came easy. Sweet!

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks like a ditch or swail would be helpful there to control the runoff, Monte.

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Was only out on Erie one time. Was rough as could be after a storm...ugh
    But the walleyes were great!
    Yum!

5. MAF143

MAF143

When we were building the contractor didn't get the drive exactly where I had flagged it... I had planned for it to go down the ridge a little to the left of where it ended up and the stone would hold better there with the water going off both sides. He also moved more topsoil out than I had planned on lowering the drive in level with the surrounding area instead of building it up above the woods floor. I picked a bad week to have to travel for work... Thankfully it's only a couple times a year that storm damage like this happens. I have to groom it more from guests coming up with 2 wheel drive vehicles than from storm damage. All our vehicles are 4 wheel drive and don't bounce like a 2 wheel drive PU when empty...

I have been planning a swale and places to disperse that on the left side for years, but have not got to it yet... Asphalt may be my new best friend also... LOL We do have a back drive to get out to the other road if we need to.

FatBoy85 and TurboDiesel like this.