Weighted Axe Head

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Oct 13, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

"Found" my Collins axe the other day near the grill and firepit. Havent used it on regular firewood in some time. I was splitting some black locust with it and was halving them with the Isocore. I like the longer cutting edge vs. the X27. Got to thinking. Is there a heavy axe head but not shaped like a maul?
    Any recommendations?

Midwinter likes this.
  2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

4 lb heads are fairly easy to find, and I have been looking for a heavier head than that, and have found a few on ebay, but so far have not bought one that heavy, because I have not found one that I liked the bit profile on, that much. Sometimes you can find an old 4 and 1/2 to 5 lb Jersey or Kentucky head on ebay. But they often go a little higher then I want to pay.

The best ax I have found is a Plumb 4 lb double bit with slightly convex cheeks. I have several single bits in various shapes but I find a good double bit to normally be better. They balance better, and they are more accurate for me, and accuracy is very important. And they seem to work better for the flick maneuver where you sorta of lay the ax over right at point of impact, which helps the wood split and reduces the chances of sticking the ax. But I still have to use the maul sometimes.

Midwinter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.