In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weed trimmer ( Weed Wacker ) not starting?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Sep 30, 2019.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I have Sears Craftsman Weed Eater that is not starting now but worked the last time I used it.
    After cleaning the air filter and changing the spark plug and trying some starting ether it still was a no go. So I took off the black plastic cover to the back side of the engine and tried pulling the starting rope handle. Then part 35 - The electric start cover fell off! So I put it back on and reassembled it and low and behold the weed wacker started right up with only one pull!
    It worked for about 5 mins and gave a jerk and shut down. Now it will not start again so I took it apart and found damage to the part 4 - the O ring seal that seals the cover to the engine! Now if this seal leaked and causes the normal approx 90 PSI to drop down to 50 PSI or below then the engine will not start!
    So my question is?
    Will a new O ring or maybe some high temp RTV seal this up so the weed wacker works like new again and starts with 1 or 2 pulls???

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/57igjp0wpl-0071-247/id-753-06174
    Not sure if it is worth spending $2.46 or just try high temp RTV??
    Pic 1&2 - Craftsman weed trimmer similar to many other brands too!
    Pic 3-4 - Damaged O ring seal
    Pic 5-8 - owners manual shows weed trimmer model # 316-711190 and O Ring part # 753-06174
    Pics 9-12 - More pics of removing back plastic and electric start cover removal.
    Note: There is a different Craftsman model of this weed wacker that has a plastic cover which can get damaged and leak air. My weed wacker has a heavy metal cover but I believe the O Ring seal can get old and leak which will also cause low compression.
    See similar problem on a different Craftsman model weed wacker here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Jack Straw likes this.