In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weber kettle

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Jon_E, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

I know there are a lot of other forums out there, some devoted exclusively to the Weber kettle or Weber line, but I figured I'd ask here first - among 'family', as it seems sometimes.

I have been grilling/cooking outdoors for the last 10 years or so on a Weber Genesis gas grill. While it's fine for grilling, it pretty much sucks at anything else like smoking or indirect cooking, and now it's so deteriorated that it won't even grill well anymore. Not just the burners but the whole grill is shot. There isn't a single part of it save for the grill grate itself that isn't broken, rotted or rusted away. I don't want another gas grill.

I've been wanting a BGE or Kamado Joe for a long time, since I used to have one of those Indonesian/Mexican "Kamado" smokers, which also fell apart on me. It worked beautifully when it worked, but it didn't last very long. Now I am being drawn to a basic Weber Kettle, a 22" model, and finding that not only are they cheap ($165 vs almost $1500 for a decked out BGE or K-Joe), but they can be modded pretty easily to produce smoked BBQ and other tasty foods at or near the same quality as the cookers costing ten times as much. I'm not looking to do anything too exotic, mostly ribs, pork butts, some pastrami once in a while, and the usual suspects for hi-temp grilling.

So I am wondering, anyone here use a kettle exclusively, especially as a smoker, and would share their experiences?

2. BHags

BHags

I have had two Weber Kettles in my yard for over twenty years. When I buy a new one, I give the oldest one away, or save parts, and make the other the backup to the new one. I can do everything on those things, from pizza to briskets. Grab one on sale for about $125, and you will never regret it. They last at least ten years, uncovered, through the New England seasons. A charcoal "snake" allows you to keep the grill at 200 F, for up to eight hours with no effort at all. great for smoking.

3. MikeyB

MikeyB

I don’t own a Kettle but if I did I would look into the “Slow & Sear” attachment for the kettles. I believe Adrenalin BBQ makes them.

4. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I love my Weber kettle. I don't smoke with it, but I use it exclusively for cooking. I only use my gas grill for getting things on while cooking on the kettle.

5. Skier76

Skier76

I've got two Smokey Joe's and really like them. With the side vents, they didn't get as hot as I'd like; especially in the spring and fall. I modified both with bottom vents and it made a world of difference. I can now get them good and hot for searing meat after they come out of the Sous Vide.

I think I have some pics of the process; I should post them. I'll do some digging.

6. BHags

BHags

IMG_2027.JPG

FatBoy85, MikeyB, Need2Saw and 6 others like this.
  7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I used my Weber to smoke and indirect cook. Even made pizzas on it. Getting the Slow &Sear is probably the best accessory to get. The company has now changed their name to SnS Grills.

FatBoy85, MikeyB, Screwloose and 3 others like this.
  8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I made my Christmas Turkey on my kettle a year ago. Worked fantastic.

FatBoy85, MikeyB, NortheastAl and 3 others like this.
  9. Screwloose

Screwloose

Bought a webber when my wife was my fiance over 26 years of happy cooking. Have the ring with the rotisserie and have even done a whole Turkey once.

FatBoy85, eatonpcat and NortheastAl like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Used quite a few webers until I fell to the tube smokers. Webers are great until you cook more food than what they can fit. They have their options and controls seem to work once you dial in but if you live in spots where wind and cold is a dynamic that you fight, it can be hard getting consistent results.