In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weather station

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by raybonz, Dec 31, 2013.

1. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Have been fascinated by weather and weather stations for a while.. Wife bought me an Oregon Scientific weather station for Christmas but when I went online for more info I found terrible reviews and hated to do it, asked her to return it.. However I did find this one and it is absolutely cool (with great reviews)! Yes there are better ones but I only paid $103.99 with free shipping and no tax using a 20% off coupon code and the last day is today :) I like that I can see my weather info online and on my smartphone too! Today is last day for the deal and coupon code (coupon code: W4XLA20).. Can't wait to get this thing going..

http://www.acurite.com/acurite-prof...rts-temperature-humidity-wind-rain-01055.html

Ray

Loon, Pallet Pete, Trilifter7 and 4 others like this.
  2. fishingpol

fishingpol

That looks like a nice set up Ray. I have an Acurite indoor/outdoor digital temp gauge. Nice quality, nothing fancy, but I like the arrow that shows which way the temperature is trending, especially when it is near freezing. It also has High/low temps for the day. I have a weathervane on the shed for wind, and I use that quite a bit.

raybonz likes this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I remember building a RadioShack model and interfacing it to a Commodore 64. Or maybe it was a Tandy Color Computer III.

4. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Sounds like fun project to install & get up & running.

I keep thinking I need a wind speed instrument,
    Have an Acurite one, not as many functions though.
    Had dealing with warrantee, they came thru good, all fixed & running since.

raybonz likes this.
  5. papadave

papadave

My version........ go outside and lick your finger.
    Stick it up in the air.
    If it freezes, it's too cold. Go back in the house.
    If it doesn't, get to work.
    Seriously, I'd like to get something a little more modern than what I have.

6. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack

I was looking into getting a weather station like that some years ago, not for my home but for up on the mountain. I kick myself now for not pursuing it with a little more vigor. You see there was a group of us that use to hang glide, and there was a specific launch spot up on a mountain we use to use quite a bit. In order to launch your hang glider from there the wind had to be coming up the hill at a pretty specific angle and it could't be too gusty or strong either. At the time the only way for us to find out what was going on up there was to drive up there, and for some of us that was a two hour drive. I can't tell you how many times we had driven up there only to find out we couldn't launch, and so we would often sit up there for hours and hours waiting and hoping the wind would change. Sometimes it worked out, but often it didn't. Because we usually carpooled, even if you were ready to give up and pack it in for the day you were obligated to stick it out till the last person was ready to call it quits, There were too many times when I would spending the whole day driving up there and waiting, and finally giving up, and coming back home without ever even setting up my hang glider.
    The thing was, there was (still is) a wireless internet antenna shack up there, we had the means to set up a webcam and weather station there, and had we done that we would have been able to not only check out the conditions up there from home, but with the proper weather history recording software we could have been able to track when exactly the best time, or days, we should have been up there. It would have been very useful.

Stlshrk and raybonz like this.
  7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Thats looks great, let me know how it works out when you get it all hooked up. I've had two both work just not real well. I like the idea of being able to see it from my iphone. That one of my key features that I'm interested in.

raybonz likes this.
  8. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Let us know what you think of it
    I may upgrade

9. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Yes i thought that was very cool plus can see on internet! The deal I got will be gone now unless they offer it again though..

10. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

You're going to be using that weather station tonight and tomorrow! Yikes, you guys are getting whacked down there.

Seriously, hope the weather station holds up to the weather. ....and you too!

2'F here, some heavy wind, and snowing, but it's light fluffy blowing stuff here. I'll have big drifts to contend with tomorrow.

Get the T5 crankin'!!

raybonz likes this.
  11. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Weather station not here.. Just ordered it so it may take a week or so to get here.. Yup we should have loads of snow here by tomorrow with big drifts.. Expect 30-60 MPH winds too..

12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I have 2 indoor/outdoor weather stations (nothing that fancy, just temp and humidity) and an Oregon Scientific that measures the temp of 3 different rooms. I use it to monitor the kids room and our room. It's nice to know that the kids are warm at night.. :)

Looking forward to your reviewing this model Ray.

splitoak, Chvymn99 and raybonz like this.
  13. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

I currently have 4 other Acurite weather gizmo's, the most expensive was $35.00.. Great little weather gadgets at decent prices.. The weather station will do what all these do and more.. One actually predicts the weather and it's pretty accurate too! Showed cloud with flashing snowflakes and knew we were going to get snow based on barometric pressure and temps.. Pretty darn cool technology..

Ray

Trilifter7, DexterDay and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

It definitely look well worth the money. Keep us updated!

Chvymn99 likes this.
  15. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

I have the same weather station just not internet accessible. I believe they have the same measuring hub. I've had mine for a year now and LOVE it!! My fiancé got it for me from lowes for $99 last year for Xmas. It keeps daily highs and lows, daily, monthly and yearly precipitation totals as well as wind max, avg and current. Also shows you the day all your recorded high and low recordings were set. It is pretty accurate as well. I liked it so much I bought one for my dad for Xmas this year. Wish I would have known about the wifi version. Keep us posted on how it does Ray.

raybonz likes this.
  16. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

They still sell the version you have and it appears you can only buy the one I bought directly from Acurite. I searched online and it only comes up with your model which I think was the 1500? I was amazed the 20% off code worked on the already reduced price and saved me another $26.00! New weather station won't be here until wednesday aand it's too cold right now for me to install it.. I can't remember the last time it got down to -8 degrees!! The stove was loaded with coals and room was at 57.6 degrees when I got up.. Brrrrr Stove is cranking now and I am tempted to run the oil FHW to get it back up to temp...

Ray

Chvymn99 likes this.
  17. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

Yea that is a great deal!! I might upgrade in the future if yours works well. Def a chilly morning, down to 65 upstairs and 74 downstairs. Stove is full of coals so I'm burning some down first before I load it up for the afternoon.

18. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

This is the 1st time in 2 years that I am running the T-5 with more than minimum air! The blower is on high speed too.. This thing can crank some crazy BTU's! The paint is curing as I type this and I need to get the coals burned down so I can jam more wood in this beast.. If I stand a foot from the front I can only stay there for a minute or my pants might ignite lol.. Just checked the hearth in front of the stove and it's 150 degrees, yikes! Wow this stove can throw some big BTU's!!:campfire:

Loon, Chvymn99 and Trilifter7 like this.
  19. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Update: I have installed the 5-in-1 sensor on my wood shelter and really like it so far! Great to see how much rain we got (2.35" yesterday), peak wind (30 MPH), and everything else! Love the free phone and internet apps too.. Great little weather station for the money..

Ray

Attached Files:

20. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

Looks good Ray! I just bought the bridge for mine and really like the wireless app. My dad got it too so now we can see and compare the weather in each others backyards. Thanks for the heads up on this! :thumbs:

raybonz likes this.