In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Water softners and filters

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mywaynow, Jun 20, 2021.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow

I have to do some plumbing work (4 year old heating tank failing) in my house. Not sure if I will do it or more likely will hire it out as I want to do a few things at this time. One of which is to get a water softner and maybe a filter. Hoping some of the crew has some expert guidance.

I am fine with salt and feel there is no way around it since the water is hard. Which company is a good choice and what style is best? Under 3 baths in the house and using well water.

Are in-line filters good or more of a problem due to bacteria? No chlorine in the water to cleanse the filter.

Happy Fathers day to all the Dads!!

Thanks for any input.

brenndatomu, Chaz and Screwloose like this.
  2. Screwloose

Screwloose

We have a Kinetico system and I can't say anything bad about it. 12 years and not been touched. Primary auto flush iron filter, softener and reverse osmosis.
    Water softener has 2 tanks and toggles between them and it uses soft water to regenerate.
    Also the softener is totally water powered and doesn't use any electricity.
    And Happy fathers day to you too.

TurboDiesel and Chaz like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I have a simple GE. I have filter for sediment, than 56,000 size salt softener change filter ever 3-4 months it’s usually reduced flow by then so easier to change filter than fridge, furnace and plumbing fixtures

Chaz likes this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

We have a Waterboss system, been pretty happy with it...quite salt miserly...

5. Highbeam

Highbeam

I have a nonchlorinated well with iron and grit. Well scale, dirt, doesn’t matter what it is it buggers up valves and plugs screens.

I installed an actual iron filter with a screen type filter ahead of it.

I chose and recommend the online site cleanwaterstore.com. They have everything and no proprietary magical devices. Just small versions of proven technology that we use in municipal water treatment. The staff are state licensed professionals and not car salesmen types.

Oh yeah, I’m a licensed water treatment plant operator and professional engineer.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  6. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have been meaning to set up an inline filter in my own house for 4th stage water.

4th stage water comes from glacial run-off and actively moving water, like from a creek. It looks and feels the same but under a microscope, there is a slightly different structure. Another name for it is structured water. The water tastes slightly more alkali than normal - like a little baking soda.

Basically, water comes in hard and you put it through a filter filled with marbles. The water is forced over the marbles and the structure is changed to this new form. Berkey water filters do something similar on a smaller scale.

The benefits are:
    - more alkaline so it is good for your body (but you want acid in the morning)
    - softens water without any maintenance
    - easier on pipes with less build-up.
    - this changes the PH, so you don't need a PH filter.

I have the stuff in my basement- basically an inline filter filled with a pvc pipe and marbles. I am replacing my softener and PH nutrilizer tank with this. I might need to do two, but I figure I will set up one and see how it does.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Chaz and MikeInMa like this.
  7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A buddy of mine bought a system from an online supplier. I believe it's unbranded.
    Local place, and kinetico wanted a few grand (installed).
    He paid about $1000 and had it shipped to his door. Installed it himself and is happy so far.

(I just texted him to see where he bought it, I'll update when he gets back to me.)

mywaynow and brenndatomu like this.
  8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

He says they were from Indiana and very nice to deal with. He'll look it up

brenndatomu likes this.