In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Waste not, want not.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Buck55, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Buck55

Buck55

I know I am not the only one who does this. :D

After I am done splitting I will rake up the debris and sort out and box up the splinters for kindling. I'll usually store a half dozen or so boxes above the garage and when it's time for fire the splinters are perfect for starting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris F

Chris F

I've been doing this for a few years now too. I store them in five gallon plastic pails and when the one inside by the furnace is empty I take it out to the old chicken coop where I store them and replace it with a full one.
    They dry easily in a year being so small.

3. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I save one pail full only. With the boiler it usually only gets lit up once. The rest gets raked up & composted.

4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

We use metal garbage cans.

5. Spencer

Spencer

Its a great idea to do this, i am just too lazy lol. I usually split in the woods so i just leave the mess out there.

6. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I use lick tubs. Every time I pack wood into the house I fill a bucket with splitter shards. Lasts awhile because once the burn season really gets going I don’t have many cold starts

7. Chud

Chud

Mine go into the stacks, so with each pickup load, or bag brought into the house there are several strips included. Some wood, I think ash and Hickory leave piles of smaller splinters that I leave in the yard. Oak is good for producing longer thin strips.

8. billb3

billb3

We still have a few 50 gallon plastic garbage cans from years ago when garbage was done that way. They are starting to crack and fall apart from age and also squirrels chewing holes in them. When they are finally put to rest might have to start using/repurposing Amazon boxes.

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Most of my kindling is split from straight grained fatwood. Leftover chips that size go into a paper bag then I just toss the whole bag in the stove.:fire:

10. Horkn

Horkn

I collect the splitter bait as I call it and use it for starting cold stoves. I also send it along with my friends when I deliver wood for their fire pits.

11. Maina

Maina

Absolutely! I put it all in with the shorts and uglies except the smallest stuff goes in a bucket. Sawdust and chips from limbs are used for mulch. Best soil builder you can find at any price.

barns1, Ashwatcher, Horkn and 9 others like this.
  12. red oak

red oak

I have 4 plastic trash cans 50 gallons each. That’s enough starter for the whole winter and then some. Filling them all is part of the summer to-do list so it’s ready to go by fall.

13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I have a plastic 55 gallon drum with the top cut off for splitter scrap. Usually keep it 1/2 full at least. And I keep one with noodles for instant fire starter.

14. boettg33

boettg33

I have a 5 gallon galvanized pale that I put this stuff in. The bark is put in a pile and brought out to the firepit. All of the smaller stuff like this is collected for kindlin. I also have a bin on casters in the shop where I put scraps of wood too small to reuse for kindling purposes. If the wife or I need any, we can go out there and grab whatever we need for the kindlin pale. Often I'll use that bin for small projects as well.

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We have several metal trash cans and 1 small wooden bin full of splitter scraps. 0928200820.jpg

16. iBob

iBob

You can't beat throwing a fugly on the fire. :picard:

iB:hair:B

barns1, Ashwatcher, Spencer and 6 others like this.
  17. JoeinO

JoeinO

Plastic 30 gallon trash can that I take the lid off on warm sunny days and cardboard boxes kept by dehumidifier in basement.
    Would like a better setup but it will do for now.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Most of mine gets stays in the PA to keep mud factor down. Sometimes thrown into woods. Better bark and shards ill usually save for firepit.

T.Jeff Veal and Spencer like this.
  19. RobGuru

RobGuru

I have a full chunklies box (half cord) in the back yard, but I need to build a second one. Recent scrounges resulted in rounds cut a bit too long for my stove. Love the chunklies!

Now, the pic from the original post made me glad. I was splitting yesterday in the back yard, adding to my ash cord (now finished :dex:). While I was cleaning up some bark and raking up some sawdust, my wife came out with a box and started rooting around the debris for the small strips and shards. That box is now in the garage with our kindling pile. She really like using the strips and shards for starting a cold stove. Can't say as I blame her!

20. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

When splitting I like having a garbage can right by the splitter. That way, if I see one I like, just grab it and toss in the can.