In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Volcano 3 copper coil

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Ryann, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Ryann

Ryann

i am looking for anyone that may have a replacement coil for the Volcano 3 made with the original copper . we had made a replacement coil that always is all coated with creosote and gunk, the old coil that froze when we took it out of the house some years ago was clean as a whistle.

Screwloose likes this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thanks for posting Ryann :yes:

Can you provide more info about this Volcano 3?
    Maybe someone will chime in with some knowledge, but I’m not familiar with your heating appliance.:handshake:

yooperdave and Screwloose like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Looks like a "one and done" post, but here goes.

Defiance wood stoves were based in Calumet Mi. I'm thinking they are long gone kaput. The copper coil may have been a homeowners added accessory? With one coil being clean as a whistle and another being creosote laden, I'm thinking that there is a failure in the interior of the wood stove. Looks like the design had an air chamber built into the stove which captured the heat to be distributed to ductwork and it also appears that the steel walls of said chamber were prone to excessive warping (typical) over extended use of wood fires. These warps may have led to cracking allowing smoke to enter the air chamber and coating the coil with creosote. IF that is the case, you would also have a stro9ng smoke smell distributed throughout the duct system entering the house. At this point, stop using the stove and repair/replace it.

5. Ryann

Ryann

You make some very good points. The stove does have some warping and could have some cracks. We don’t have smoke smell through the house as it is a baseboard hot water heating system and not forced hot air. So I guess we will just continue to clean the coil annually and be warm that way. Thank you for your input.

yooperdave likes this.